Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luggage allowance to Australia

Options
  • 14-01-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I've been checking out skyscanner for flight costs to Sydney next month and wasn't too sure about the luggage allowance, so I visited my local travel agent to get a quote and some informed advice. Surprisingly they were cheaper than skyscanner.

With regards to my luggage enquiry, they told me that Etihad and Emirates allow 30kg luggage, but it must be one bag and not 2x15kg bags.
    No option of purchasing allowance for a second bag either. Also, if I wanted to take sports equipment, it'll be based on volumetric weight with a ballpark figure of €30 per kilo :eek:.
    And for hand luggage we're only allowed one bag :confused:

I'd be interested in hearing who others have flown with to Australia, and their baggage allowances as I'm finding this quite difficult to digest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

That sounds right.

Some airlines only allow 23kg checked allowance so yea etihad and Emirates are quite generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Yeah, I know but 30kg for one bag is a bit much.
    They won't let me distribute the weight over multiple smaller bags, which is why I'm confused.
    The limitation of only one hand luggage is a bit crap too as I was hoping to take a laptop bag and a camera backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

Shy Ted wrote: »
    I've been checking out skyscanner for flight costs to Sydney next month and wasn't too sure about the luggage allowance, so I visited my local travel agent to get a quote and some informed advice. Surprisingly they were cheaper than skyscanner.

With regards to my luggage enquiry, they told me that Etihad and Emirates allow 30kg luggage, but it must be one bag and not 2x15kg bags.
    No option of purchasing allowance for a second bag either. Also, if I wanted to take sports equipment, it'll be based on volumetric weight with a ballpark figure of €30 per kilo :eek:.
    And for hand luggage we're only allowed one bag :confused:

I'd be interested in hearing who others have flown with to Australia, and their baggage allowances as I'm finding this quite difficult to digest.

Agent is of on a few points there, Ted. Flew with Emirates last week from Dublin to Melb. 30kg can be split across five bags if you like. I had 30kg split across two and there was no problem. Double and triple confirmed this with their help line before I flew out.

Some airlines have a set price for extra bags (I flew Aer Lingus from New York to Dub before Christmas and it was a 100USD for one bag). The charge, per KG, is 59e from Dublin to Melbourne when flying Emirates. No chance was I paying this for a heavy extra bag which was why I wanted to tripple check the 30kg limit above and how it could be split.

Hand luggage is a grey area which is always flaunted. Budget airlines will usually measure your bags before boarding/checking in but you have a bit more leeway, size wise, on international flights with the bigger airliners IMO. I seen a guy with a decent size rucksack on my flight. Emirates hand luggage allowance on that flight was 7kg. If you are tight for space throw on a jumper and a coat and take it of when you get through security.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Some airlines don't charge for golf clubs, I brought a bag of clubs to Sydney from Dublin with Malaysia airlines no problem, no reason why you can't replace the clubs with something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Emirates offer no charge luggage on some sports equipment. It's on their website and I've brought golf clubs on their flights more than once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement