Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Eligible For HEAR?

Options
  • 14-01-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm a little bit confused about if I'm eligible for HEAR or not. My father is on social welfare/has a medical card but my mother is not. My mum is in a minimum wage paying job so our annual household income is well below the threshold. I also come from a background where neither my father or mother has attended university. I didn't go to a DEIS school and I don't live in a particularly impoverished area. Would this qualify me for HEAR? My parents had always assumed I was going to qualify for a grant so I'm getting worried there isn't any money put away for fees.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

HEAR - am I eligible?

Possibly. Put in an application anyway.

What makes you think you wouldn't get a grant? If the family income is low enough for a medical card, I would think you also qualify for a grant.

Do your parents live together?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2015/HEAR2015.pdf

Under page 4 of this handbook, from the info you've given you'll probably qualify for indicators 1,2,4 and maybe 6.

There's no harm in applying even if you think you mightn't get it. You won't hear until after the Leaving Cert whether you got it, and any money you get will depend on what college you enter

http://www.susi.ie/How-is-my-income-assessed-/Income-thresholds-for-Undergraduate-Students.aspx

Also you should check here to see what rate of grant you may get, the limits for 2015/16 shouldnt be too different to whats here

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cobrien14

Enhaha wrote: »
    I'm a little bit confused about if I'm eligible for HEAR or not. My father is on social welfare/has a medical card but my mother is not. My mum is in a minimum wage paying job so our annual household income is well below the threshold. I also come from a background where neither my father or mother has attended university. I didn't go to a DEIS school and I don't live in a particularly impoverished area. Would this qualify me for HEAR? My parents had always assumed I was going to qualify for a grant so I'm getting worried there isn't any money put away for fees.

You should qualify for the HEAR scheme :) I am in the exact situation as you are and from what I read on the indicators you would qualify under the lower income, parents medical card and the fact neither parent attended 3rd level education. Those are the indicators I think I personally qualified for so it would make sense if you qualified also. Regarding the grant it depends on your families income and your distance from the college/uni. You should get a reasonable grant seeing as your dad is on social welfare but you don't need to worry about that til atleast May. All in all you should qualify for both HEAR/Susi so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope it helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are considering HEAR, or even a standard grant, it is no harm start assembling the documents you will need now, instead of in a big rush when you will be in the middle of exams and exam preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Enhaha

cobrien14 wrote: »
    You should qualify for the HEAR scheme :) I am in the exact situation as you are and from what I read on the indicators you would qualify under the lower income, parents medical card and the fact neither parent attended 3rd level education. Those are the indicators I think I personally qualified for so it would make sense if you qualified also. Regarding the grant it depends on your families income and your distance from the college/uni. You should get a reasonable grant seeing as your dad is on social welfare but you don't need to worry about that til atleast May. All in all you should qualify for both HEAR/Susi so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope it helps!

Thanks so much this was really helpful! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement