Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cover crop

Options
  • 14-01-2015 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Have bout an acre of average quality ground that i'm not using, looking for idea of low maintenance cover crop or game crop to supplement food for pheasants. Have feeders out but have'nt them being used yet in the last 3 mths or are cover/ game crop a waste of time? No experience of using either so advice most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

https://www.maceoinltd.com/cover-crops-seeds/
    There you go, they have a mixed bag 1 acre pack, I've used the company for a few bits and pieces, they're pretty quick and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

anyone no about these grants you can get for planting game crops ?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

We use John Delight mix in Galway. Grows very well and is amazing to see in the height of summer with all insect life. Works very well in holding birds during the winter months by providing cover and food.

The grants we get come from our NARGC county body. So it differs per county. We can get up to 50% of costs back on seeds, machine hire and fencing. Full details on grants in Galway available here -http://www.ggha.ie/grants/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

Terrier wrote: »
    We use John Delight mix in Galway. Grows very well and is amazing to see in the height of summer with all insect life. Works very well in holding birds during the winter months by providing cover and food.

The grants we get come from our NARGC county body. So it differs per county. We can get up to 50% of costs back on seeds, machine hire and fencing. Full details on grants in Galway available

i have read good things bout johns delight for sure. Does it require maintenance as in fertilizer etc?? Have heard of a new cover crop Utopia, but cant find much info on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

If you put a cover crop in just beware that it will likely attract loads of crows as well. I was going to put in a linseed one and decided against it for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭J.R.

Terrier wrote: »

The grants we get come from our NARGC county body. So it differs per county. We can get up to 50% of costs back on seeds, machine hire and fencing. Full details on grants in Galway available

i have read good things bout johns delight for sure. Does it require maintenance as in fertilizer etc?? Have heard of a new cover crop Utopia, but cant find much info on it...

John Howard writes about both cover crops here

http://www.rathcormacgunclub.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

If you put a cover crop in just beware that it will likely attract loads of crows as well. I was going to put in a linseed one and decided against it for that reason.

Where would linseed be got to sow? I have large ladder trap in same field i do usually catch 100+ rooks and jackdaws each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Where would linseed be got to sow? I have large ladder trap in same field i do usually catch 100+ rooks and jackdaws each year
    I was going to get Co-op to order some in for me. Linseed would be more for small seed eating birds like linnets/goldfinch/redpoll. A kale based crop would be more suitable for pheasasnts. If you have a ladder trap that would sort out the crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

I ordered some stuff from maceoin ltd yesterday,
    nothing major just some verm-ex stuff for my birds and a quarter acre pack of something called Phacelia to try out in the pen this year when the pullets are let out.

Main reason I mention it is because it arrived this morning, if that's not good service I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

what is the best cover crop for poor soil?

• Advertisement
Advertisement