Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Munster Joinery guarantee cover draughts?

Options
  • 14-01-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

We have large Munster Joinery hardwood sliding doors from their Prestige range. They are three years old. There is a really bad draught from one of the doors and you can clearly hear outside noise.

Does their warranty cover draughts? I phoned them earlier but they wanted the code in the glass so that they could identify the order. I wasn't at home at the time.

The room is cold from the draught :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

one of the worse companies to deal with for anything after they have been paid all I would say is good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

70 Euro for a callout. Any repairs on top of that.

So much for the 10 year warranty that was promised. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Any repairs on top of that :(

If I were you, I'd be sitting down when he gives his diagnosis.

Seriously though, 3 yrs is feck all of a lifespan for what I guess was a wallet-emptying purchase. I'd be forcefully playing the warranty card here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

10-year warranty but they're unwilling to honour it?

sarkozy wrote: »
    10-year warranty but they're unwilling to honour it?

Yeah, they said if they need to replace seals then that will cost extra.

The Prestige windows and doors are supposed to be top of their range.

We only use the sliding door in the summer if it's a nice day. It's had very little use and zero abuse.

• Advertisement

It's a month now since I called Munster Joinery about the draught and paid the 70 Euro call out charge they demanded. I got a call 10 days ago from the fitter saying that he would need a hand lifting out the sliding door. I was so pleased that they were calling out I offered to help him but he didn't call back.

I'm expecting him to be wearing a cowboy hat when he arrives at the house. If he ever arrives...

I'm thinking of getting an independent window fitter out to look at this. Does anyone know what effect that may have on the warranty (not that it's worth much anyway)?

I could probably demand the 70 Euro back because of how long it's taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

I'm thinking of getting an independent window fitter out to look at this. Does anyone know what effect that may have on the warranty (not that it's worth much anyway)?

I could probably demand the 70 Euro back because of how long it's taking.

Don't let anybody else near the door until a MJ representative has attended to it.
    I would send MJ a registered letter saying that if the defective door is not repaired within two weeks that you will be taking a case to the small claims court on the grounds that their product is clearly not fit for purpose. You should not be enduring a draught from a door that is less than 3 years old. You are entitled to a reasonable standard of quality and performance. It will only cost you €25 and if it gets to the court – which I very much doubt – the court tends to be very sympathetic to consumers with a legitimate claim.

PS. You are not insured to undertake any work on their apparently defective product so I would be reluctant to assist with heavy lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Curious78

I know the last post on this thread was 2015 but did you have any success with Munster Joinery. We are having a similar issue on a 2 year new build and are just in the house 6 + months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If they are not playing fair small claims court sounds like a plan colder air is now flowing and you want it stopped .

• Advertisement

Curious78 wrote: »
    I know the last post on this thread was 2015 but did you have any success with Munster Joinery. We are having a similar issue on a 2 year new build and are just in the house 6 + months.

They eventually came out and installed a new seal. I had to pay the call-out charge and for the replacement seal. I've since moved house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They eventually came out and installed a new seal. I had to pay the call-out charge and for the replacement seal. I've since moved house.

A client of mine who bought windows for new build had some trouble early on. Straight to solicitor. Eventually got a full 10 year free call out free parts and free labour warranty offered through the solicitor. The standard warranty basically means you pay for call out after year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mickdw wrote: »
    A client of mine who bought windows for new build had some trouble early on. Straight to solicitor. Eventually got a full 10 year free call out free parts and free labour warranty offered through the solicitor. The standard warranty basically means you pay for call out after year one.

You should get that sort of warranty for anything you buy from the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act 1980 (and the newer version that I can't remember)

You don't need a special warranty to cover you for something like.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You should get that sort of warranty for anything you buy from the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act 1980 (and the newer version that I can't remember)

You don't need a special warranty to cover you for something like.

But you dont get it. You have to go chasing it.
    The number of people who claim everything is covered for 6 or 10 years is nuts when the commercial reality is it would likely take legal action to get such cover even where you are entitled to it.

The number of people who claim everything is covered for 6 or 10 years is nuts when the commercial reality is it would likely take legal action to get such cover even where you are entitled to it.

You do get it, everyone gets it.
    The fact that you have to go ask for it is neither here nor there.
    By right everything bought in the EU has 2 years "warranty", in Ireland its 6 years.

For €25 you can open a small claims dispute for up to €2,000 claim, if your claim is more than that then you engage a solicitor to write a letter.

You seem to expect that a company is just going to have over cash or a replacement because you said so, thats not the way the world works I'm afraid.

You do get it, everyone gets it.
    The fact that you have to go ask for it is neither here nor there.
    By right everything bought in the EU has 2 years "warranty", in Ireland its 6 years.

For €25 you can open a small claims dispute for up to €2,000 claim, if your claim is more than that then you engage a solicitor to write a letter.

You seem to expect that a company is just going to have over cash or a replacement because you said so, thats not the way the world works I'm afraid.

This is alwsys claimed here but the fact remains - if outside stated warranty, you will have a struggle on your hands and its nowhere near as clear cut as you make out.
    If you turn up with a 5 year old car wanting a free repair, you are not going to just be given it.
    Id suggest you offer your services as a consultant if you feel you can get warranty on everything up to 6 years old. You should make a fortune.

This is alwsys claimed here but the fact remains - if outside stated warranty, you will have a struggle on your hands and its nowhere near as clear cut as you make out.
    If you turn up with a 5 year old car wanting a free repair, you are not going to just be given it.
    Id suggest you offer your services as a consultant if you feel you can get warranty on everything up to 6 years old. You should make a fortune.

It's important to reiterate that Munster Joinery told me that the windows and doors came with a 10 year warranty. I expected that a draught on a 3 year old door would be covered under their warranty. It wasn't. I think my expectation was reasonable.

I went with a different provider when I replaced the windows and doors on my new home. When I reported a draught on a sliding door they fixed it under the warranty. I did have to wait a few weeks for a fitter to resolve the issue but there was no charge..

It's important to reiterate that Munster Joinery provided a 10 year warranty. I expected that a draught on a 3 year old door would be covered under their warranty. It wasn't. I think my expectation was reasonable.

I went with a different provider when I replaced the windows and doors on my new home. When I reported a draught on a sliding door they fixed it under the warranty. I did have to wait a few weeks for a fitter to resolve the issue but there was no charge..

Munster dont provide as standard a 10 year all inclusive warranty. As boards you found out, call out etc had to be paid.

No one is saying "you are just given it", but that's no different to any other service.
    However the *fact* remains that in Ireland you are entitled to Repair, Replace, Refund for at least 6 years. Just because it might take some work to get it is irrelevant, you are still able to get it.
    You are acting like there is no benefit to it, just because you have to work to get it, which is wrong.

No one is saying "you are just given it", but that's no different to any other service.
    However the *fact* remains that in Ireland you are entitled to Repair, Replace, Refund for at least 6 years. Just because it might take some work to get it is irrelevant, you are still able to get it.
    You are acting like there is no benefit to it, just because you have to work to get it, which is wrong.
    You are talking us around in circles.
    I initially commented that a client of mine went legal and obtained a 10 year comprehensive warranty in writing - far in excess of the written terms of the standard warranty offering.
    You immediately basically replied saying this is what they were entitled to anyway implying that its only a matter of saying you require a free repair when nothing could be further from the truth.
    You then seem to be taking the opposite stance of - cover is there but you need to fight for it etc.
    This was my initial point to start with so as I say, going around in mindless circles.

• Advertisement

You are talking us around in circles.
    I initially commented that a client of mine went legal and obtained a 10 year comprehensive warranty in writing - far in excess of the written terms of the standard warranty offering.
    You immediately basically replied saying this is what they were entitled to anyway implying that its only a matter of saying you require a free repair when nothing could be further from the truth.
    You then seem to be taking the opposite stance of - cover is there but you need to fight for it etc.
    This was my initial point to start with so as I say, going around in mindless circles.

No, you said

I'm merely pointing out that you dont have to go get it, you are entitled to it by the law in this country. The solicitor didnt get it, they enforced it.
    They are two very different things.

But you are determined to argue and have the last word, so fire ahead chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

give it a rest ffs

Advertisement