Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Exterior Front Door

Options
  • 14-01-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Looking for some advice please on getting a new front door. I have a house (red brick) from the 50's and the original door is still present. I would like to get it replaced but would like to get a door made by a joiner if possible rather than a composite or PVC door. We like the design and shape of the current door so would like to keep it much the same.

Had engaged an architect last year and he was providing quotes for other bits around the house as well as the door.

I got my quote for the door but it was for a door made from poplar wood. Anything Ive read online about poplar being used for external work is largely negative so am reluctant to get one made using this. The door will be painted inside and outside. I initially had thought it would be oak for an external door but perhaps it wouldnt be the best option if it will be painted??

I would appreciate any advice from people with previous experience or people in the know.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Looking for some advice please on getting a new front door. I have a house (red brick) from the 50's and the original door is still present. I would like to get it replaced but would like to get a door made by a joiner if possible rather than a composite or PVC door. We like the design and shape of the current door so would like to keep it much the same.

Had engaged an architect last year and he was providing quotes for other bits around the house as well as the door.

I got my quote for the door but it was for a door made from poplar wood. Anything Ive read online about poplar being used for external work is largely negative so am reluctant to get one made using this. The door will be painted inside and outside. I initially had thought it would be oak for an external door but perhaps it wouldnt be the best option if it will be painted??

I would appreciate any advice from people with previous experience or people in the know.

Thanks in advance
    Poplar is good to paint but I wouldn't use it in a front door. Real is good stability wise but needs to be treated prior to painting and the grain can be a bit course. Mahogany is the standard run of the mill timber round here anyways that is durable and takes paint well. There's a timber I've used a couple of times that holds really well and takes paint well but it's crazy money. I can't spell the name as its a bit odd but it's something like Kai .oak isn't great in front doors, it stains too much in Irish conditions and the grains too open for sealing 100% without tiring into something that looks like a pvc door. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I find Iroko to be good for exterior use , takes paint well but needs to be primed correctly, Pitch pine is another good exterior joinery wood, Poplar would not last very long outdoors , do you have any idea what wood the original door was made from

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Poplar is not suitable for external joinery. Normally we would use iroko or a mahogany making them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Miname wrote: »
    Poplar is good to paint but I wouldn't use it in a front door. Real is good stability wise but needs to be treated prior to painting and the grain can be a bit course. Mahogany is the standard run of the mill timber round here anyways that is durable and takes paint well. There's a timber I've used a couple of times that holds really well and takes paint well but it's crazy money. I can't spell the name as its a bit odd but it's something like Kai .oak isn't great in front doors, it stains too much in Irish conditions and the grains too open for sealing 100% without tiring into something that looks like a pvc door. .

Perhaps you were thinking of Accoya?

OP: is the door exposed to much weather and sun.
    If so you need to get something that is pretty stable dimensionally and made by someone who knows what they are about.

If you go with iroka then don't paint or varnish it but treat it with a breathable product, [ mind gone blank now and too cold to go look in shed:) ]

I use McNallys in Walshestown in North County Dublin
    Not cheap but I have a front door for 24 years, rub of sandpaper every few years and a coat of thingy ...done.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

Folks thanks a million for your replies. I cant understand why an architect would recommend this wood for a door if there is so much bad press for using externally.

The front of the house is north facing and the door is set back into an arched porch, it never sees the sun and never gets the rain so is well sheltered. I had looked at mcnallys so nice to get a recommendation, thank you.

How much would i be looking at roughly to get it made in mahogany or the kai??? Wood. Want to get a really good long lasting door so not afraid to spend a bit to get the right door.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Gald to be of assistance. Make sure its the right McNally! Will pm u the details.
    Who ever makes it, make sure it is thick enough, mine is 60 mm, it should be minimum 45 mm.

Price, no idea, email them a picture of front and back and the dimensions

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Folks thanks a million for your replies. I cant understand why an architect would recommend this wood for a door if there is so much bad press for using externally.

The front of the house is north facing and the door is set back into an arched porch, it never sees the sun and never gets the rain so is well sheltered. I had looked at mcnallys so nice to get a recommendation, thank you.

How much would i be looking at roughly to get it made in mahogany or the kai??? Wood. Want to get a really good long lasting door so not afraid to spend a bit to get the right door.

Thanks again

Very little real mahogany being used nowadays , there are several substitutes, sapele is probably the most common and wouldn't be great outdoors, of the currently available types of wood it's hard to beat Iroko "teak substitute"for outdoor joinery, it's not a pleasant wood to work with but it's durable, if you ring Abbey Woods, timber suppliers in
    Baldoyle they will tell you which timber is best for outdoor use. The reason Poplar is used is it's cheap, easily worked, and easily stained to look like other types of timber.
    lts suprising what wood people use at times, I recently repaired a kitchen worktop that was made from wide board American Ash, which would be unsuitable as a worktop timber but as expensive as some of the more suitable timbers

Gald to be of assistance. Make sure its the right McNally! Will pm u the details.
    Who ever makes it, make sure it is thick enough, mine is 60 mm, it should be minimum 45 mm.

Price, no idea, email them a picture of front and back and the dimensions

Thank you!! Thats the McNally I was looking at alright. Appreciate the message.

Very little real mahogany being used nowadays , there are several substitutes, sapele is probably the most common and wouldn't be great outdoors, of the currently available types of wood it's hard to beat Iroko "teak substitute"for outdoor joinery, it's not a pleasant wood to work with but it's durable, if you ring Abbey Woods, timber suppliers in
    Baldoyle they will tell you which timber is best for outdoor use. The reason Poplar is used is it's cheap, easily worked, and easily stained to look like other types of timber.
    lts suprising what wood people use at times, I recently repaired a kitchen worktop that was made from wide board American Ash, which would be unsuitable as a worktop timber but as expensive as some of the more suitable timbers

I kicked it back to the architect saying I didnt want poplar used, he came back stating that he will get a quote for the door made in Sapele...

Where do I go from here!!!

Ill call McNally and get a quote from them.

Thanks folks for your assistance, very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Iroko is cheapish and will last a lifetime due to its natural oil content. Some retailers sell iroko under the label 'Teak/iroko' or even 'Teak' which is a completely different species.
    So called mahoganies including sapele are just pale imitations of real Carribean mahoganies, sadly now almost unobtainable.

• Advertisement

Update: Spoke to and obtained an initial quote from McNallys which we are happy with. Quote provided for Iroko/Teak and also for Accoya. 57mm door.

I appreciate all the help and replies.

We are getting other work done too so just have to try and get it all done together. Ill pop up in other forums in the next few days too!!

Advertisement