Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lagunitas brewery backs away from trademark lawsuit against Sierra Nevada

Options
  • 14-01-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

jpeg

Link
    Petaluma-based Lagunitas Brewing Co. sued rival Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. over alleged trademark infringement on its new Hop Hunter IPA label, but then quickly backed away late Tuesday from a legal battle between two of the nation’s biggest craft brewers in an industry noted more for its collegiality than for litigation.

In a suit filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Lagunitas owner Tony Magee argued Sierra Nevada’s design for its Hop Hunter India Pale Ale — which features “IPA” in large, bold, black capital letters — is too similar to the design for his Lagunitas IPA label.

But late Tuesday night, a series of tweets posted on Magee’s Twitter account said the suit would be dropped Wednesday morning.

Lagunitas alleged that the Hop Hunter “IPA” lettering is a “radical departure” from Sierra Nevada’s traditional design, which features much smaller text that is typically preceded by a descriptive term, such as “Fresh Hop,” “Extra,” or “Rye.” The “Hop Hunter” lettering is in a much smaller font that is overlayed on the IPA lettering. IPA is an acronym for India Pale Ale, a hoppy beer that has come to dominate the Northern California market while making major inroads across the country and also internationally.

It is mental that they ever thought that they had a case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

He got ate alive on social media yesterday, it was quite amusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Hate to see rhat coming from a brewery I really like, hopefully he admits hes was stupid.
    I think Lagunitas has potential to be really big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ipso wrote: »
    Hate to see rhat coming from a brewery I really like, hopefully he admits hes was stupid.
    I think Lagunitas has potential to be really big.

I like their beer, they are already at 400,000 barrels capacity; about half that of Sierra Nevada, so pretty huge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

From the link that I forgot to put in the OP (there now)......
    Sierra Nevada is the second-largest craft brewer in the United States, while Lagunitas is No. 5.

So not that small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Face, Murdoch, Hannibal and Mr T should sue Lagunitas tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement