Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resorts to visit near Mayrhofen

Options
  • 14-01-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, heading to Mayrhofen for the 4th time in early February. We are interested in heading to some neighbouring resorts to ski some new ground. I've heard good things about Kaltenbach. Is this the best resort to visit close to Mayrhofen. We will probably just do one day away and we are all intermediate skiers.
    Also, is there a bus to Kaltenbach or should we just get a taxi.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I skied Kaltenbach last year, there's no town or atmosphere to speak of but the skiing was decent, best slopes in my recollection were the ones around the intersection between Kaltenbach and Hochfugen, and down into Hochfugen and in Hochfugen. Very nice restaurant along the intersection towards Hochfugen, can't remember the name but if you check out the welove2ski review you'll see it. Prob the best food I've had on a mountain (potentially only matched by the Lasagna I had last week in Cervinia).

A lot of off piste around the same areas as mentioned above.

There's also the Zillertal Arena but I didn't make it there. The key q for you may be snow conditions. If snow is poor they're pretty low, in which case might be worth your while heading to Hintertux which is high and glacier based.

Think its about 15 - 20 from Mayer to Kaltenbach and a similar distance the other way to Hinter. You can also drive to Hochfugen but is quite easily skiable from Kalten.

I'm sure there are buses and I think there's also a train which is included in your lift pass and runs through the Zillertal valley. It stops in Kaltenbach albeit might be a reasonable walk with skis to the lift station. Can't remember how far but I think it was just a few hundred meters. Should be able to find out on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bajj

Donie75
    stayed in Mayrhofen a few years ago, you are well placed to travel the whole of the Ziller valley. There is a regular train to zell am Ziller where you can ski across a number of mountains in the zillertal arena. I recall we got a train around 0800hrs in the morning, its free in ski get and only takes 15mins. Kaltenbach is a little further on in the train, but only another 10 mins or so is also well worth a visit, great skiing and also one of the best mountain restaurants (fantastic view) in europe, the Kristall Hutte at the far left of the resort. Then there is the Tux glacier, but only for good weather, the roads were closed due to excessive snow when I was there.
    I really enjoyed the travelling, some may find it inconvenient but IMHO its well, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

bajj wrote: »
    Donie75
    stayed in Mayrhofen a few years ago, you are well placed to travel the whole of the Ziller valley. There is a regular train to zell am Ziller where you can ski across a number of mountains in the zillertal arena. I recall we got a train around 0800hrs in the morning, its free in ski get and only takes 15mins. Kaltenbach is a little further on in the train, but only another 10 mins or so is also well worth a visit, great skiing and also one of the best mountain restaurants (fantastic view) in europe, the Kristall Hutte at the far left of the resort. Then there is the Tux glacier, but only for good weather, the roads were closed due to excessive snow when I was there.
    I really enjoyed the travelling, some may find it inconvenient but IMHO its well, well worth it.

I've been to Mayrhofen twice but when I go back I plan to do explore the whole area like you have. Sounds like a good way to see different resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks folks, we are regulars in Mayrhofen as we love the town and we have found really good accommodation on the main street 50m from the Penkenbahn lift. We know the Mayrhofen slopes very well at this stage so want to spread our wings without the risk of being disappointed with the resort.
    Had thought of doing the Hintertux Glacier but it's very weather dependent. I skied the glacier in Kaprun years ago and it got very cloudy and it was impossible to see anything.
    Might do some more research on the Zillertal Arena and Kaltenbach.
    Also, has anyone skied the valley run (ski route 1) from rhs of the Penken down to Schwendau? I heard it mentioned before and there's supposed to be a good apres ski bar called the Yeti Bar at the bottom.

Advertisement