Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Phone Call

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Just got a strange phone call from this phone number: +1(989) 791-4205. The person said he was from Windows support team and he was calling about my computer. I hung up immediately. Has anyone else ever received a call like this?

On the recent calls in my phone it usually says "mobile" or "unknown" under the contact name. However, for this number it says "Saginaw, MI". I've Googled the phone number but nothing comes up.

What is the purpose of these phone calls? I have a PAYG phone and no credit is missing. If I stayed on the line would he have asked for credit card details etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Just got a strange phone call from this phone number: +1(989) 791-4205. The person said he was from Windows support team and he was calling about my computer. I hung up immediately. Has anyone else ever received a call like this?

On the recent calls in my phone it usually says "mobile" or "unknown" under the contact name. However, for this number it says "Saginaw, MI". I've Googled the phone number but nothing comes up.

What is the purpose of these phone calls? I have a PAYG phone and no credit is missing. If I stayed on the line would he have asked for credit card details etc.?
    Yeah its a scam going around for a long time.

Usually ask you to turn on your computer and follow these steps etc.

Anyone with a brain knows its as scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

It's a scam. They want you to install software on your PC which allows them access. They then pretend to remove viruses by deleting some system files. They ask you to pay them €50 or so.

I've had a few over the past few years.

"Hello! I'm rashaad from windows tech support team and I'm sorry to tell you this bu..."

"**** off Rashaad".

Just hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tell them to **** off, if they keep calling back buy an airhorn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

please to visiting most cheap airhorn shop

rajsuperairhorning.in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It is a relatively new thing. Since about 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Yeah, I've had loads of those calls. The last batch were routed through an Egyptian phone number. They actually only get your details from some basic source like the phone book or wherever you might have had your ph. number online and they're trying to con you into believing that your computer has a virus. Their line is that reports have been sent to Windows through your computer that you have a serious comp virus and they can fix it for you by remote link to your computer. Then they will take you through a series of steps where you give permission for them to do a remote link, whereupon they have access to all your passwords and banking details.

I once pretended I was very concerned about what they were telling me but that I couldn't understand the guy's accent and demanded to speak to a manager so that I could do whatever they required at my end. Got through to manager, plamásed him for about 5 mins and then launched into a tirade of truth telling during which I pointed out he was robbing grannies of their money and he was abusing the poorest people in the country. We ended up having a long chat where he actually agreed that this kind of "job" (these are call centres abroad, specifically set up to diddle people with this method, and it's a well paid job in a place where there are few good jobs) was beneath him. He even said sorry, not that that changes anything.

You can expect any amount of these calls from now on, seeing as they have your number. There is nothing you or anyone else can do (I asked comreg) as it's out of the jurisdiction. They targetted my whole county through the phone book last year, and a few years before that.

It can be quite fun to string them along till they get thick with you. For supposed Windows employees, they do a lot of shouting and getting irate!! I especially like having the craic with them and then telling them they're lying through their holes because I've never had a windows computer registered in my name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

My granny loves getting these calls. She delights in getting them to repeat their names, the company name, why they're calling, etc. etc. and then when she gets bored of that she starts blabbing to them as Gaeilge.

She's a divil but when you're 82 years old you get your kicks where you can! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've noticed them getting a lot more hateful lately when they realise the game is up, using vulgar insulting language. I wonder is there some sort of regulator of scammers I can report them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

I either play the non-stop 'yes, ah ha, I see' (on-repeat) game until they get tired and give up.

Otherwise just play a selection of binaural alpha>beta>theta brainwave subliminal audio patterns with a embedded message suggesting not to call again.

• Advertisement

I've noticed them getting a lot more hateful lately when they realise the game is up, using vulgar insulting language. I wonder is there some sort of regulator of scammers I can report them to.

You could try asking for the manager? - I realise you're only doing your job of robbing people blind, but it's particularly bad form of your company to use such vulgar language when people object to being robbed blind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

like tradhead's granny I really enjoy winding them up.. I say I dont know how to turn on my computer and they spend ages trying to explain it to me.. then I say I have to answer the door and leave the phone off the hook while I go and do my weekly shopping. great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I finally had my first call from an Indian dude called Roger the other day. I was playing a game so I turned up the sound so he could hear it and narrated everything I was doing but told him I wanted my pc fixed if only he'd wait. He got more and more animated about the impending doom of my PC whilst I kept trying to explain how important my round in World of Tanks was. He cottoned on after 10 minutes and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Best thing to do is tell them you're turning on your computer, then just put the phone down and walk away.
    Time they spend waiting in vain for you to come back is time they can't spend trying to con others.

Yes. My OH was told to "Go F**k Yourself" by a well spoken English girl! I usually play them along and see how long they'll take to realise I'm taking the pi**

It actually isn't funny at all that you can't block them. I must have had at least one call per day for the duration of 3 weeks at one stage, and although I learned not to run for the phone eventually, there must be a lot of elderly people who'd be half crippled being very bothered by the nuisance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Play them along for a few minutes and when they tell me they have no access "oh wait. Microsoft... I use Linux"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The sad thing is that these scams have been around for so long and yet are still obviously profitable. People still get caught out by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

If it becomes a daily occurrence from multiple sources (ppi-reclaims, crash-claims etc) another option would be to playback the audio clips from the alien chap featured on the '4th dimension' movie. It's a harmless bit of ancient Sumerian mixed with modern day intergalactic alien abduction audio chit-chat which should spook out most call centres staff in Mumbai.

This site has them already sourced, cropped and converted from video into single mp3 files for available download.
    As with anything downloadable have decent anti-virus software installed, these two mp3 files passed my Norton on-demand scans anyhow.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/#v=JFRgTWHz1Mg
    http://www.youtube-mp3.org/#v=mLyKZGEAc3s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

tradhead wrote: »
    My granny loves getting these calls. She delights in getting them to repeat their names, the company name, why they're calling, etc. etc. and then when she gets bored of that she starts blabbing to them as Gaeilge.

She's a divil but when you're 82 years old you get your kicks where you can! :D

Yep my 90 year old neighbour does something similar, when they ask if her computer is switched on she says 'hold on a minute there til I check', puts the phone down for a few minutes, picks up again and says 'just turning it on there for you, it'll take a few minutes' then starts telling them about her grandchildren and her bunions and her new kitchen... her proud personal record is keeping them on the phone for over 30 minutes before 'remembering' that she doesn't actually own a computer :D
    Old people are brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sufa

Best thing to do is tell them you have a MacBook. They hang up soon enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I wonder if they call an Indian person here do they think its someone taking the piss out of their accent and hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Ah I'd love to get one of the calls, I'd pick up the young lads toy laptop and follow their instructions!

"yep, its on now, oh wait I have an email from a teddy bear.... Ok I'm back, press ctrl and shift? I've got a cat button, will that do?"

Advertisement