Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin question

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am off skiing to Mayrhofen in 3 weeks time. I got a Garmin Forerunner 15 with Heart Rate Minotor for Christmas to use when running. I was wondfering if this would be any use for skiing? I'd like to record the daily distances covered, my speed and see what sort of calories I burn.
    Has anyone here done something similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi, I am off skiing to Mayrhofen in 3 weeks time. I got a Garmin Forerunner 15 with Heart Rate Minotor for Christmas to use when running. I was wondfering if this would be any use for skiing? I'd like to record the daily distances covered, my speed and see what sort of calories I burn.

Yes, didn't find it useful personally, forgot about it after a few days. Garmin doesn't take the lifts into account so calories aren't tracked very well. starting and stopping for lifts you end up forgetting.

Im considering doing it again, starting it in the morn and leaving it for day (try to remember to turn off and on for lunch) and making nice maps of my days and ignoring pretty much everything else. If Garmin added a mode that interpreted the uphill sections as lifts it would be much more useful. See other thread here about GPS's for the speed thing. Wouldn't trust it and you just come across as a dick if you start quoting it in the pub (IMHO).

if you just want to keep track of lifts etc you could create an account at skiline.cc and enter the lift pass number when you get it.
    Nothing fancy, and tbh, i say the distances covered can vary wildly depending on routes taken, but at end of week can be nice to look back on

you might be better off with an app like this if you have a smartphone. 99c. doesn't use data. won't have HR but that's hardly a big loss.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.corecoders.skitracks&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Donie75 wrote: »

I'd say my heart rate is off the chart. :) I could record, show it to the doc and get time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I have the Garmin 310XT, used it a couple of times for snowboarding. Found it much more accurate than the phone. Has auto-pause features and vibrates when you stop so constant reminder to stop it if getting the lift etc. I stopped using it after a day or two though, novelty wore off a bit and just use skiline now to track number of lifts/estimated mileage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Advertisement