Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time skiing in Europe, any advice?

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I moved back from the States a few years ago where I used to ski in Vermont/ New Hampshire/New York. I am looking to go in Europe for the first time but have no experience here. I am going with three teenage kids. Going on a budget and don't care about night life. We are not too fussy on lodging as we are used to roughing it. A hostel would be fine, we only care about the skiing. Soll seems to be the place to go but I have heard Andorra recommended too. Can I get skiboards at most resorts? We don't need lessons, just lift tickets and equipment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

UCPA in France will be a good option, cheap, free guides included and located in some of the best resorts in Europe.

The hostel in agientierre Chamonix is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

corazon wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I moved back from the States a few years ago where I used to ski in Vermont/ New Hampshire/New York. I am looking to go in Europe for the first time but have no experience here. I am going with three teenage kids. Going on a budget and don't care about night life. We are not too fussy on lodging as we are used to roughing it. A hostel would be fine, we only care about the skiing. Soll seems to be the place to go but I have heard Andorra recommended too. Can I get skiboards at most resorts? We don't need lessons, just lift tickets and equipment.

There aren't hostel as as such in Soll, but the resort itself is very reasonable for accommodation, food etc. If you look at the Soll thread the first post contains all the details you'd need to arrange a DIY trip. Best bet is probably to start with emailing the tourist office and telling them the type of accommodation you're looking for, and you can take it from there. If you've any questions, shout! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Did you mean Ski/Board or actual Skiboards? if its the latter, never seen them but can't say that I have ever looked. Ski Blades are common enough

if there are 4 of you could work out cheap to rent a studio or apt. trivago.ie (more hotels but will show serviced apts also) or airbnb. at the bigger / more famous resorts the accommodation is usually more expensive. b&b's a good option too as opposed to a hotel if you're bringing kids on school holidays times then if they coincide with the school holidays of the country you're going to (or Uk as a lot of people will be going from uk on half-term) then need to research this. also with 4 probably cheaper to rent a small car for the transport to the resort from the airport. also resorts with good nightlife are usually more expensive so that's an advantage if you will avoid those. personally I like Austria. you can save on accommodation also if you're willing to stay in a nearby town rather than the resort itself. leave skis in the rental shop each night. you only really need to stay in the actual resort town if you want to go on the piss. Obertauren is a great big ski area with lots of runs but not great nightlife so not so expensive. Zell am see another not bad option. Saalbach good also. St.Anton or Iscghl are the top ski areas also but more expensive. book your skis online in advance on something like skiset.co.uk to save on rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

granty1987 wrote: »
    Did you mean Ski/Board or actual Skiboards? if its the latter, never seen them but can't say that I have ever looked. Ski Blades are common enough

Saw one the other day. I'd never seen one before. Looked a little bit homemade but on closer inspection wasn't. I was well impressed. Wouldn't ever try one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Saw one the other day. I'd never seen one before. Looked a little bit homemade but on closer inspection wasn't. I was well impressed. Wouldn't ever try one :)

Skiblades suck but Skiboards are awesome - I've been riding mine since 2007 - started out on these 105cm Revel8 revolts and I just had my first day today on my rockered longboards 125cm Spruce Raptors

Check out what skiboards are:

Such a shame there are not more rentals of these and the sport would really take off. I see so many people on skiblades which are stiff, don't carve and sink in powder, and it kills the short ski experience, if you ever get the chance to ride proper skiboards - you will love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

The thing I saw was one piece, the length of a ski and mounts were parallel. I'll search online for an image later.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

*meant to say snowblades

And AlternateID - I am guessing you mean a Monoski!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

granty1987 wrote: »
    *meant to say snowblades

And AlternateID - I am guessing you mean a Monoski!?

Yep sounds like a monoski! Rode one for 80's day last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will do some research on Soll vs. Chamonix and see which works out better. Those Raptors are like the skiboards I am used to. I think Salomon was the maker in the States. Would I save anything by renting a car at the airport and staying off the resort or is this too much hassle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement