Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolve on PC

Options
  • 14-01-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting this? There is a technical test on PC starting this friday which is open to anyone who played the alpha or anyone who owns L4D or Bioshock Infinite. I think the game could be fun and one of those games that gets better the more you play. I'm not sure that it will ever get to the level of L4D realism versus mode but I reckon it will be worth the price for the basic game.

The thing that is putting me off is the DLC which gives you extra monsters and hunters but it is crazy expensive. €20 for the hunter season pass and about $10 for 1 extra monster. I'm not sure if want to buy the game now because you will be up against players who have the DLC (surely pay to win)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It looks pretty cool alright, whether I pick it up completely depends on the kind of community it fosters post release.

As for the DLC, the game ships with 12 hunters and 3 monsters, should be more than enough to enjoy it on release and after. The additional DLC adds 4 new hunters and another 3 monsters which isn't too bad for €20 assuming they're unique enough to differentiate themselves from the shipped ones and the game is balanced to accommodate them. This last point is what will determine whether your pay to win worries are warranted.

What I do like is the fact that all future maps released will be free so the community won't be split when the new content is launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

^AFAIK the DLC (Hunter Season Pass) only adds new monster skins, not actually new monsters, which isn't great. Really want this, but not liking the pricing for DLC and as Gizmo says, much depends on how good the community is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

DLC does have actualy Monsters. 2 i think, one of which was shown in a trailer today. I also hope it's not a case of needing one of the DLC hunters to be an effective team. As much as they say it'll be balanced, i definitely see them being better characters overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

Actually, looking at their website, the DLC/pre-order details are clear as mud.
    HUNTING SEASON PASSES
    If you love the idea of more Hunters bringing a lot of additional variety to the hunt, you’ll want to keep an eye on this. The Evolve Hunting Season Pass contains four new Hunter characters (one from each class), as well as three new Monster skins (Magma Goliath, Magma Kraken and Magma Wraith.) and will only cost you $24.99. Considering that if you bought them all separately, all of that content will run you about 30 bones, stash that extra $5 in your pocket as a thank you for joining us on the hunt.

The fourth monster (Behemoth) is free if you pre-order, but is otherwise paid for. Unless you buy the "Monster Expansion Pack" which contains the Behemoth, and yet another skin for the Goliath.

Then there's the "PC Monster Race" edition which gets everything, plus a fifth monster, and two extra hunters.

More details here.
    We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over$14.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact. Think of it as us buying the first round for you. As a thank you.
    How about no.

$15 for one new monster is not okay. I understand there'll be a chunk of work involved in its creation, at least if it's different enough from the rest of the monster roster, but still, that's simply too expensive for what's being offered. Added to this is the fact that there's also a fifth monster in development, which I assume will cost another $15, and it looks like they'll completely undo the benefit of offering new maps for free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Wasn't this the game that the dev's said would have more DLC than any other game and was built from the gound up with DLC in mind? I played the Alpha twice. Found the other folks playing it to be sound and quick to give tips and help rather than screaming "FKING N00B!" like LoL or PayDay.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Wasn't this the game that the dev's said would have more DLC than any other game and was built from the gound up with DLC in mind? I played the Alpha twice. Found the other folks playing it to be sound and quick to give tips and help rather than screaming "FKING N00B!" like LoL or PayDay.
    Seems to be so. Not the best way to word that, all things considered. :o

On my earlier post, it seems I was mistaken, you can still play against people with the DLC, you just can't play as the new Hunters or, the more important point imo, Monsters. That's certainly better in terms of avoiding community fragmentation but the pricing issue remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had an interest in this then kinda went off it. Waiting to see I guess if any of my gang are picking it up. Wasn't mad about the DLC stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i played the alpha and it was a lot of fun. gets a bit repititive but some other game modes will solve that. not liking all this dlc rubbish though. just release a full game ffs.

froog wrote: »
    i played the alpha and it was a lot of fun. gets a bit repititive but some other game modes will solve that. not liking all this dlc rubbish though. just release a full game ffs.
    They are releasing the full game though. Shipping with 12 Hunters and 3 monsters seems, on paper at least, fairly acceptable. Supplementing this with new maps free of charge is also a great way to keep things fresh. Drip feeding character-based content post-release at a price many seem to deem unreasonable, however, is the problem.

As an aside, the Closed Beta just appear in my Steam Library, anyone else going to give it a shot over the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I enjoyed the beta a while back so decided to look up a few of the usual places for a good price. Pre order with the bonus monster is available on kinguin for 30 euro. Not bad. Make sure you change your billing address to one outside of the EU though or you will be hit with tax.

You wont get a code until the game is released though so if you are not already in the closed beta by owning either Left 4 dead or Bioshock infinite or where in a previous test you won't get into the closed beta.

I was already eligible though so I wasn't worried. Pre installing the beta now. 22.5gb. I think the alpha was about 15 gb so there is considerable more data in this release. What that translates to is yet to be seen though.

I was gifted bioshock infinite a few months ago, any idea if I'm eligible. Love me some free games, watched Frankie play this and it looks like fun

If infinite is in your steam library then yes you should be able to play. Check and see if Evolve [closed beta] is in your steam library.

Note that you only get access during the beta period, you will need to purchase to be able to play after it is over, so not a free game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

would be nice if they added in a more lit up map..from what I can remember of the 'Big Alpha', I had to adjust the brightness considerably to be able to see things better. Has a lot of potential to be a good game though, and a game mode with more than one monster would be pretty cool to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Hi folks. I've been snooping around boards for ages, but only signed up this evening to give away my beta code - really looking forward to this game (despite the pay for monsters business model), but there's no way my PC will run it.

So if anyone wants/needs the beta code, let me know here in the thread and I'll fire you off a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Dair76 wrote: »
    Hi folks. I've been snooping around boards for ages, but only signed up this evening to give away my beta code - really looking forward to this game (despite the pay for monsters business model), but there's no way my PC will run it.

So if anyone wants/needs the beta code, let me know here in the thread and I'll fire you off a PM!

I got the beta already so paaaaassss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Seems there has been a bit of a backlash against the pricing and DLC strategy. Well, enough of a backlash that Turtle Rock felt they needed to defend it.

rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/15/evolve-dlc-pc/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got the email earlier to say I'm in, I'll certainly give it a go this evening when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Fairly sure that it doesnt start until tomorrow on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Yep Jan 16th 9am pst. Damn, I thought it was this eve. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Pre downloadin as we speak. Im in work til 3 tonight and back in at 10 in the morning, how to spend my few hours at home...........

Damn it The red, just say your post! looks like its H1Z1 so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Running like crap for anyone else?

Running like crap for anyone else?

Àctually runs really smoothly for me and the people I am playing with. One guy with a lowish end PC was surprised how well it ran for him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Àctually runs really smoothly for me and the people I am playing with. One guy with a lowish end PC was surprised how well it ran for him

Running GTX670 SLI and an i5 2500k. Getting regular frame drops to 15-20 FPS.

2500k and 7970 here, runs perfect.

Perhaps turn off SLI and then see? It's in beta and there may not be great SLI / Crossfire support yet.

Sli isnt supported afaik. I turned off my Crossfire and its grand. (r9 280x)

great fun so far but it could get repetitive. I played 1000 hours of L4D2 though so evolve could be similar in that gets better as you get better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

looked at some streams over the weekend, game looks great and seems like loads of fun. I'll defo be considering it.

Feck. I'm on a 560Ti. DOes not bode well :(

Finally got into it last night after not really clicking with it before. Had about 6 games and tried out a few characters. Digging the assault and trapper. Support is ok too.

Starting to figure out what to do and how to move around effectively. Totally enjoying it properly now.

:D

Korvanica wrote: »
    looked at some streams over the weekend, game looks great and seems like loads of fun. I'll defo be considering it.

Feck. I'm on a 560Ti. DOes not bode well :(

More than likely SLI is causing his problem but your card is almost on the limit alright (min spec is a standard 560)

• Advertisement

I might have a spare card lying around if you are interested Korvanica? ;)

Please dont ban me mods!

xxxxx

Advertisement