Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 shorts

Options
  • 14-01-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where you can source .22 shorts have tried 4 or 5 RFD and none have them in stock nor can they give a date for when they will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Haven't seen them or BBs for sale for a long time. About 7 years ago the old fella bought 2-300 as a job lot from a local hardware shop in Cavan, they had been collecting dust on the self for years.
    We used them for pest control around yards etc, used the last of them on magpies in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Haven't seen them or BB's for sale for a long time.

If the BB's are the Bird Shot, Red Mills has the Federal stuff for about €15 I got a few boxes recently to sort out some Rats that have moved in near the Chicken Pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

I think Hilltop had some shorts in stock just give Pat a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The Aussie wrote: »
    If the BB's are the Bird Shot, Red Mills has the Federal stuff for about €15 I got a few boxes recently to sort out some Rats that have moved in near the Chicken Pen.

The BBs where a .22 caliber lead ball sitting on a small case, with no loose propellant only a thin layer of gel like substance in the base of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

I recently got shorts from Duffys in Galway , the website isnt great but if you ring and pay over the phone youll have then next day. Im pretty sure he would have some in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Snakezilla wrote: »
    I recently got shorts from Duffys in Galway , the website isnt great but if you ring and pay over the phone youll have then next day. Im pretty sure he would have some in stock.

What price did you pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Duffy's had CB longs last week, about 750 fps if I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

hexosan wrote: »
    What price did you pay for them

€5 per 50 box !

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

Outdoor ranger in tuam had some yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Does your licence state that you're covered to use 22shorts?
    Lol

Just be aware that prolonged use if these rounds in a 22lr chamber can casuae premature wear rings on the side Walls of the barrel chamber which can lead to sticky extraction of fired 22lr brass.

If your just looking for a low powered option to shoot with your 22lr and you have a short barrel(16.5"), then you could try John lambert.. He used to sell agulir super colibre stuff(if that's how you spell it)
    It's ideal for in sheds and on sheds! Only 12ft/lbs. Same as Uk air rifle limits. Not very accurate past 20meters but shoots 0.5" up to 12 yards and then opens up to 1-1.5(depending on how clean you keep the chamber). It's a very dirty round and you will need to clean every 20rounds to avoid failures to feed!!
    Anyway hope this helps ye.
    Also if you are shooting a deicated 22short chambered gun then I love to hear about it and it's accuracy.
    Regards zx Dublin south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

D'ya know, I don't know if you would be covered if you used a .22short in a .22lr rifle?
    I suspect for .22 nobody would care to enforce it, but for (say) .357 magnum and .38 special pistol ammo, they might...

(Also, apart from the old ISSF rapid-fire pistols, I don't think there ever were that many dedicated .22short firearms compared to the .22lr ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The rifle licence probably says "of .22 inches" and doesn't state whether short, long or long rifle. The CB longs I mentioned in an earlier post will avoid the problems of erosion in the chamber. Of course if the firearm is actually chambered for .22 short (unlikely) then only that will do.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0038

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Does your licence state that you're covered to use 22shorts?
    Lol

Just be aware that prolonged use if these rounds in a 22lr chamber can casuae premature wear rings on the side Walls of the barrel chamber which can lead to sticky extraction of fired 22lr brass.

If your just looking for a low powered option to shoot with your 22lr and you have a short barrel(16.5"), then you could try John lambert.. He used to sell agulir super colibre stuff(if that's how you spell it)
    It's ideal for in sheds and on sheds! Only 12ft/lbs. Same as Uk air rifle limits. Not very accurate past 20meters but shoots 0.5" up to 12 yards and then opens up to 1-1.5(depending on how clean you keep the chamber). It's a very dirty round and you will need to clean every 20rounds to avoid failures to feed!!
    Anyway hope this helps ye.
    Also if you are shooting a deicated 22short chambered gun then I love to hear about it and it's accuracy.
    Regards zx Dublin south

Gun is an old .22 colt owned by a friend who was looking for the shorts which are the only rounds it takes. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I used to use them on rabbits - a great little round but I haven't seen them in years. I think Eley stopped making them.
    Just to be aware they have about 70 ft/lbs of energy and are not really suitable around buildings. That's why God made air rifles.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

hexosan wrote: »
    Gun is an old .22 colt owned by a friend who was looking for the shorts which are the only rounds it takes. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

If yer mate is ever selling it then let me know! I have been looking for a 22short rifle for a while,

Zxthinger wrote: »
    If yer mate is ever selling it then let me know! I have been looking for a 22short rifle for a while,

Not a hope of that happening its a family heirloom been handed down through the generations from grandad to him.

Advertisement