Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karate classes in Swords

Options
  • 13-01-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. I have 5 year old boy, that i want to get started in some form of Martial arts training. He's very keen to learn karate as i have shown some old pictures of myself while teenager training karate shotokan.

So as per google I found 2 clubs in Swords: Hokubo Dojo and Irish Karate Kyokushinkai in GAA, but i dont know anyone to ask which is what, and better for 5 year old to start. Any recommendations and testimonials will be much appreciated. Thank you.

p.s. i also found plenty of other martial arts styles, like judo, krav maga and sambo, but dont know anything about them at all, so will listen to all testimonials and recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

my127dot1 wrote: »
    So as per google I found 2 clubs in Swords: Hokubo Dojo and Irish Karate Kyokushinkai in GAA, but i dont know anyone to ask which is what, and better for 5 year old to start. Any recommendations and testimonials will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Firstly, 5 is VERY young to start training in a MA. He is likely to get bored quite soon, unless you can find a club that has classes specifically tailored for somebody that young.

I do not know the Kyokushinkai club so I cannot comment on it. I do know Dermot O'Keeffe in the Hokubo Dojo and he is an excellent instructor. His Dojo is full-time so it is tailored for karate training and he runs classes for kids as young as 4. It really is important for kids that age to train with kids their own age, so I'd highly recommend trying that club first.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Hi I actually run the Kyokushin club in Swords. We do have some juniors around 6 years of age or so. My advice is to try both clubs and see what you think. Its important that you are happy with the club and instructors. I will say that I have heard all good things about the Hokubo Dojo and Dermot O'Keeffe.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 my127dot1

so, after talking to friends and other parents from my son's school, i've decided to go with Hokubo Dojo as been impressed with other parent's testimonials. Went to see the Dojo and instructor Dermot O'Keeffe, from first impression looks exactly what i was looking for.
    Thanks everyone for your input. If i get a chance, will post some feedback in the future. Thanks!

Advertisement