Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movie Restorations

Options
  • 13-01-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

One of the great benefits of our modern technology is the constantly improving ability to restore old movies to their former glories. If you have a favourite restored movie, give it a mention here along with a few words why.

I've several classic restored movies now on Bluray I could mention, but I suppose my favourite one is Lawrence of Arabia.The story behind the movie's restoration is worth a mention as well.

It's well known that Spielberg adores David Lean and often cites Lawrence of Arabia as the movie that inspired him to make his own epics. In the 80s, Spielberg contacted David Lean with a view to restoring what was by then a decaying original negative print of the movie which Lean agreed to.

They restored several newly found elements which by then had lost their soundtrack. So, they got Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif and Anthony Quinn back into the studio to re-record their dialogue for the scenes concerned.

The movie was given a new theatrical release with the newly restored elements seamlessly included, which is also the version contained on the Bluray.

If you haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia before, or even if you have, then watch it on the biggest screen you can find, with the new 5.1 DTS surround and marvel at how good a movie from 1962 Lawrence of Arabia actually is.

Advertisement