Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper convert advice

Options
  • 13-01-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a short wheel based van that is currently on a commercial insurance. I'd like to convert it to a camper but it seems like a mine field. Due to its small size I'm not sure it would pass once converted. How can you find out for sure before spending money on it?

Also: if I did not get camper insurance and went with private instead. Is it possible to insure newly fitted passenger seat in the rear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Compskills wrote: »
    I have a short wheel based van that is currently on a commercial insurance. I'd like to convert it to a camper but it seems like a mine field. Due to its small size I'm not sure it would pass once converted. How can you find out for sure before spending money on it?

Also: if I did not get camper insurance and went with private instead. Is it possible to insure newly fitted passenger seat in the rear?

Must be half the 'caravelles' 'shuttles' and 'tourneos' in Ireland are van conversions. You could look at trade insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭niloc1951

All you need to know is HERE

It's not like it used to be, there are now serious procedures to be complied with.

After a vehicle is certified as a motor caravan, to get the motor caravan road tax rate the Revenue have their own rule on its internal hight requirement.
    Getting motor caravan insurance for self conversion is then another minefield.

Sometimes I think it might be easier export it, convert it, import it. If you can prove residency for I think 6 months there's no duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sometimes I think it might be easier export it, convert it, import it. If you can prove residency for I think 6 months there's no duty.
    If VRT was paid originally then there is no liability, however the change in classes would be another flag raised as the VIN will bring up the original registration number here.

Yeah, second thoughts; buy camper conversion, rip the bound to be crap job outta there (no offence to anyone, I know the good ones are keepers, most what I see on donedeal are poorly executed imho), keep the important bits and start from scratch with a camper log book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Compskills

Thanks niloc1951 and Sir Liamalot. That RSA link was very helpful with regards to non-conversion option and fitting seat in rear.

If I choose to convert it - Is the camper height restriction reinstated this year? I understand it no longer applied at least up to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I know somebody that queried the height rule with the Revenue and they were told there is no longer a height rule. The was in 2014. Is there somewhere on their website (Revenue) where it says the height rule has been re-introduced ?

I know somebody that queried the height rule with the Revenue and they were told there is no longer a height rule. The was in 2014. I could be very wrong but I think there was a lot of misinformation around about this last year. Is there somewhere on the Revenue where it says the height rule has been re-introduced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 upderebels

I am also looking for information on site but cant seem to find anything,,i have a 2007 toyota hiace swb that i planned to convert to camper, but was told that regs have changed so i wont have enought height ,can anyone confirm if this is right,,thanks in advance

To be honest, I don't think the regulations have changed. However, if I were you, I would contact the Revenue and get a definite answer from them regarding the height.

• Advertisement

Have a read of THIS from the Revenue website, the whole deal is clearly set out.

As stated by another poster, I don't think it's clear at all ! Previously, they had a specific height stated and any conversion had to abide by that. But on the link it states "an area where a person (of average height) could move around in a standing position."
    What's average height ? What if a person of exceptionally low height can fully stand up in a given vehicle but another can't ? I can stand in the living area of my Transporter (low roof), not fully upright, but I can stand nevertheless. So in my humble opinion, I think the Revenue could be been more clear on this.

As stated by another poster, I don't think it's clear at all ! Previously, they had a specific height stated and any conversion had to abide by that. But on the link it states "an area where a person (of average height) could move around in a standing position."
    What's average height ? What if a person of exceptionally low height can fully stand up in a given vehicle but another can't ? I can stand in the living area of my Transporter (low roof), not fully upright, but I can stand nevertheless. So in my humble opinion, I think the Revenue could be been more clear on this.

I suppose you could say it's as clear as mud :rolleyes:, just like how they calculate the VRT on motor caravans.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I suppose you could say it's as clear as mud :rolleyes:, just like how they calculate the VRT on motor caravans.

Niloc, you're on the money there !!! The VRT thing is just scandalous. Recently, I saw the new price lists for the VW Caravelle range.....the amount of VRT built into the price nearly gave me cardiac arrest !

Advertisement