Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from Germany

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi everyone, I am in the market for (my first) bandsaw for diy / hobbiest work, I'm living in Dublin. The saw I'm focussing on is from Gude, the Gude GBS 315 UG.
    Prices for this saw start at E324 in Germany, the UK price is E480 - big difference! Delivery cost is extra. The problem is finding a German supplier who ships here.
    My question; does anyone know of a German-based woodwork equipment supplier who ships to Ireland? So far I've drawn a blank...... Tks, Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Im not 100% sure but by the time the shipping and taxes are paid you will probably end up paying more. there are plenty of small bandsaws out there for reasonable money. A good second hand startrite will outlast the best of hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BenAtar

Hi Miname, Tks for your reply. I am hoping that shipping and taxes (What taxes?) will be roughly similar from the UK and Germany...wishful thinking perhaps.
    Certainly, a quality used saw is fine, but thin on the ground I suspect. I'm keeping an eye on Dundeal and Adverts, nothing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

There will be no taxes within the EU.

There are services like parcel motel that will drop ship from Germany to Ireland for you. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but Google it and you'll find them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

thesteve wrote: »
    There will be no taxes within the EU.

There are services like parcel motel that will drop ship from Germany to Ireland for you. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but Google it and you'll find them!
    You're probably thinking of http://mailboxde.com/.

However, I'm not sure they'd be the kind of company to handle something as large and heavy as a bandsaw. As others have said, I'd imagine shipping costs for a single item like that from Germany would be pretty high, so may negate the price savings.

Might be and yeah, they all have their conditions on size / weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Looked it up on ebay .uk and found a retailer quoting 32.50 to send it to Ireland.
    It has a 740 watt motor so you will be confined to less than 3 " wood thickness unless you want to spend all day cutting and straining the motor.
    You can never have enough power with a bandsaw. After years of struggling with a 2HP small bandsaw I sprung for the Hammer N4440 which has a 4 HP single phase motor and it does everything I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BenAtar

Tks guys for the info, I'd heard and forgotten about Parcel Motel, never heard of mailbox.de.

TheSteve: I found out that Parcel Motel has a weight limit of 10kgs.

Alun: Mailbox.de use various companies, there's a max weight limit of 50kgs.
    Unfortunately, the saw ship weight is 63kgs.

Recipio: I may take ur advice and 'go bigger', tho' The N4440 is way beyond my budget right now, sadly. What you said is food for thought, I want to get the most powerful saw I can within a price range of up to E1000.
    Any further advice welcome.

Parcel motel will ship > 10kg, they just then charge you by dimensional weight. I.e. through the nose.

Advertisement