Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get a refund from a take-away

Options
  • 13-01-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I’m hoping someone here might be able to advise me on this;
    I placed an order with a local take-away and paid for it by card last Monday, at about 10:40pm and received an order confirmation that it would be delivered at 11:40pm. Someone from the shop phoned a few minutes later to say they were closed (their website said they were still open) and that the order would be delivered Tuesday instead.
    I said I didn’t want it Tuesday and told him to cancel the order and refund my card, he told me he couldn’t do that and I asked why not, he said he just couldn’t (this went back and forth a couple of times) and then he told me he’d ring his manager and phone me back. So when he called me back he said only the owner could cancel the order and that they’d phone me Tuesday.

When I didn’t get a call a couple hours after they opened I phoned them, neither the manager not the owner were there. The person I spoke to said he’d phone the manager and call me back – so when he called back he told me the manager said I had to send an e-mail to the address on the website. I sent the e-mail Tuesday evening, never got a response so I forwarded it again on Friday morning. I still haven’t heard anything. Any idea if there’s anything else I can do?

The order didn’t arrive on Tuesday either, so it was cancelled in some way if not officially.

T&Cs on the website:
    “All orders will be delivered per the time confirmed on the order. If for any reason the restaurant is not able to deliver the food, we will call and notify you within 60 min from when the order placed and issue a full credit card refund for card orders.”

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Have you ordered off them before?
    Is it nearby?
    If possible, drop down to the outlet... explain who you are and you're a regular customer.
    They should sort it out if they've any sort of decency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Dr.Teeth

Can you get your bank to do a charge back?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Before you try for a charge back, you should make an effort to resolve it with the take-away first.

Did this takeaway use a platform like JustEat? If so, they should be able to refund you. Otherwise, call down to the take-away and ask for the manager.

If all attempts fail, then contact your credit card provider to initiate a charge back on your credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fiendoncheese

Thanks for the quick responses!
    Yeah, I've ordered from them maybe 3/4 times before, I'm by no means a regular so I doubt they'd recognise the account.

I ordered through their own website which uses a platform called Zupper, so I'll try them, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't realise they could do anything for me. If that fails I'll drop in, it doesn't seem like they have a manager there most nights so I'll see if I can find out when s/he's in.

It was a Visa Debit card, can a charge back still be done on that? (Just in case it comes to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

If they can't do a card refund ask for a cash refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Chargeback is possible on the Visa Debit card (cause it's a Visa card, unlike the old Laser system)

Advertisement