Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Judo Association and Brazilian Jiu jitsu UK Association affiliation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/news/british-judo-announces-new-affiliation-with-the-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-uk-association?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PlanetJudo+%28Planet+Judo%29

Now this is very interesting for a number of reasons. The most interesting thing for me is not that a judo association is teaming up with a BJJ one. No, what I find interesting is that they have teamed up with the BJJUK association and not the UKBJJ association, who I think are seen as the leading group in the UK.

Very interesting indeed.

The BJA seem to have set up this BJJUK association themselves.
    The BJJ community in the UK are giving as much credence to this as the Irish UK BJJ International Federation or whatever it was called. Splitters!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,171 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So it basically sounds like they are setting an organisation to run sub/ground grappling comps. And rathered call it BJJ than call it Nage-waza Judo.

The only thing that Google turns up about the BJJUKA is this "affiliation".
    The chairman has a BJJ blackbelt since 2008, and a Judo blackbelt since 1979. Links to Roger Gracie, and prehaps UK_BJJF (Federation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Clive wrote: »

seems a universal trait in martial arts, first a community based group(s) WITH experience who LOVE their sport try and get it off the ground, grow it, and seek to make it professional. Once they are nearly there some scumbag opportunists come along and try to cash in, which never works as people see right through them, and their "IDEA" is not about promoting the sport and democratic control but about how to get their hands on a handy bit of cash!

BUT as tiresomely, transparently idioctic as their "I'm the cleverest dude ever, noone will guess what I'm really up to" personas are, they do in fact harm the sports as they must be taken seriously by national and international sports bodies (given a fair hearing so to speak) and so delay recognition and therefore funding for the sport, which harms the participants / athletes.

The young athletes and non-involved / unaware coaches out there unfortunately don't know that these opportunists are effectively stealing off them. They are thieves, first of ideas then of funds (through delay), and of course their main drive is to STEAL a cut of everything that should be reinvested into the sport for themselves.

They should be shunned and boycotted by all conscientious martial artists!

Advertisement