Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program to build up Core

Options
  • 12-01-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping to do a good few cycle events this year (did a few last year like Tour of Meath and Leinster Loop) and I want to work on my core, especially during these dark evenings. Been searching Google and there are lots of plans and exercises but I'm wondering do any of ye have a good routine that could be done in the mornings/evenings?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Not so much of a routine but I swim a lot which is fantastic for the core (and a bit of strength) and pilates on and off. The pilates is fantastic for the core and general strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

had a bike fit done and the guy recommended doing planks for building the core
    too difficult for me!
    but i do have a decent rower at home, would this be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

devonp wrote: »
    had a bike fit done and the guy recommended doing planks for building the core
    too difficult for me!
    but i do have a decent rower at home, would this be any good?

It wont get any easier if you don't do them, try planks, the bridge and the superman plus stretchs, works wonders for me. Start with 20secs and build it up each week it will get easier!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Planks, side planks, glute bridges.

With something like planks, you'd probably get more benefit from 30s on / 30s off than 2 minutes in a row.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

As an alternative to the plank, I find russian twists to be great for the core exercise when done with a kettle bell.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    As an alternative to the plank, I find russian twists to be great for the core exercise when done with a kettle bell.

Russian twists are a great exercise...I would do them as well as planks rather than as a substitute.

Bird dogs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

You can see the top exercises from that buke on YooChoob here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Planks are good, once you can hold it for over a minute you need to add difficulty though.

It's hard to beat barbell squats and deadlifts for core strength, as the core has a huge role to play in stabilising the spine through the lift.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ISTR from a previous thread that squats must be done deep and naked.

I can't remember all the details thoough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lumen wrote: »
    ISTR from a previous thread that squats must be done deep and naked.

I can't remember all the details thoough.

Was it not topless air squats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I got this book from the library before - had some good exercises in it:

http://www.easons.com/p-595384-cycling.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

I recently started yoga and a bit of Pilates both are great for developing the core.
    I also recently got an excellent book from amazon 'yoga for cyclists' by Lexie Williamson published by Bloomsbury. It has illustrations and plenty text. Worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

What would you do to add difficulty to a plank if you are holding past 60secs?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    One legged planks.

Then have a cat sit on your back. Then a small dog. Then a large dog. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Lumen wrote: »
    One legged planks.

Then have a cat sit on your back. Then a small dog. Then a large dog. etc.

'Gradually build up to a small donkey over a number of weeks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

bwalsh1983 wrote: »

As Lumen says.
    Only one leg down. Hold. Alternate.
    Only one arm down. Hold. Alternate.

The further you hold the appendage from your body, the greater the lever is acting against your core.

Advertisement