Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vespa Advice - Newbie

Options
  • 12-01-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm totally new to motorbikes/ scooters/ motoring so I'm in need of a bit of pointing in the right direction.

I'm hoping to get a Vespa over the summer to use for college and what not over the next 5+ years.I just want something for an easy commute around the place so I have a bit more independence.

I have my provisional (car) driving license. Does this cover scooters or do I have to do another theory test and everything?

What's best to buy . . . New? Used? If used, how old? I haven't been able to find a price quote for new on the vespa .ie website and the second hand ones seem to be few and far between.

I'm an 18 year old girl, any idea the approximate insurance cost?

Do they require a lot of maintenance?

Are they fuel efficient? Approx cost to run/ week?

What's the best model . . . Primavera? Sprint? GTS/super? PX? LXV/GTV?

Any other costs involved?

Pros? Cons?

Any advice/ information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

There's a thread stickied above for all things learner related, as for the scoot, cool! They do about 80mpg easily if not more, insurance is easy if you go to Liberty they will do an online quote but you'll have to tell a small white lie regarding the licence. What size engine are the ones you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

You have to do IBT before you can insure it. €450-€500, depending who you go to for the training. Also factor in the cost of gear,helmet etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TheArtOfNoise

Hi, a PX is ideal and what you want really, but get one made after 2000 with a disc brake. Mark in Scooter Island opposite the Four Courts in Dublin or Carl in MC Scoots in Inchicore will look after you. Join the Vespa Club of Ireland on FaceBook if you'd like more help.

And apply for your Leaner bike permit now too...

Advertisement