Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Defence twitter twatted!

Options
  • 12-01-2015 10:43pm

Another day another embarrassing high profile site hacked!

I sometimes wonder just how many of these sites are being accessed by backdoors that were put there by outsourced developers.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30785232
    The Twitter and YouTube accounts of the US military command have been hacked by a group claiming to back Islamic State.
    One message said: "American soldiers, we are coming, watch your back."
    It was signed by Isis, another name for the Islamic State. Some internal military documents also appeared on the Centcom Twitter feed.
    Centcom said it was taking "appropriate measures". The Twitter account, which usually provide updates on strikes against IS, was later taken down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Its a fantastic story.

Its hardly the missile defence system that was hacked, but its still hilariously embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I sometimes wonder just how many of these sites are being accessed by backdoors that were put there by outsourced developers.
    Hardly none I wager. If a second dev went into your code and discovered a backdoor it'd be hell to pay for you.

biko wrote: »
    Hardly none I wager. If a second dev went into your code and discovered a backdoor it'd be hell to pay for you.
    Strange, when you consider that most communications software has backdoors for the US agencies to access them.

Not a conspiracy theory, a Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What I find interesting is how the method of war changes over time. WWI was fought in the trenches, WW2 was fought by tanks, planes and nukes, drones are the preferred method of warfare currently but the most interesting change is an internet warfare is probably a big part of our future.

Putin has a team trolls promoting pro-Russian agenda all over the internet, the CIA has a team specialized in trolling ISIS and Al Qaeda online, North Korea hacked Sony, etc. The future of warfare could be in the hands of hackers and internet trolls...Boards.ie could be the breathing ground for the world's greatest keyboard warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Hazys wrote: »
    What I find interesting is how the method of war changes over time. WWI was fought in the trenches, WW2 was fought by tanks, planes and nukes, drones are the preferred method of warfare currently but the most interesting change is an internet warfare is probably a big part of our future.

Putin has a team trolls promoting pro-Russian agenda all over the internet, the CIA has a team specialized in trolling ISIS and Al Qaeda online, North Korea hacked Sony, etc. The future of warfare could be in the hands of hackers and internet trolls...Boards.ie could be the breathing ground for the world's greatest keyboard warriors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If the future of war is trolling and not killing, I endorse it. Maybe they could sort it out over a game of Civ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hardly a national security issue tbf

Who even reads their twitter feed.

Killed some terrorists today. Yeah hay, who wants fritters.

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

High time we "Dresdened" these regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Yawn.

They did release their war game scenarios with China, North Korea and Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Welcome to the US Military Twitter Account.

Please enter your password......

DEFCON5!%

Incorrect.

Please try again.......

USAUSAUSAUSA1234$

Incorrect.

Please try again......

!BIGP0PPABARRACKRULEZ%

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As long as I can still watch drone strikes I won't be too upset

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They did release their war game scenarios with China, North Korea and Iran.

Did they win? You know by dropping nukes and wiping us all off the planet?

I prefer scrabble me

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

biko wrote: »

You'd wager, would you?

You think that a backdoor is some simple Linux cronjob sitting in plain sight for any clown with the root password?
    You think it's some port left open in broad daylight allowing shell access from some nmap scan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Egginacup wrote: »
    You'd wager, would you?

You think that a backdoor is some simple Linux cronjob sitting in plain sight for any clown with the root password?
    You think it's some port left open in broad daylight allowing shell access from some nmap scan?

I'd say they left the key in one of those fake hollowed out rock things and left it at the back doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

You'd wager, would you?

Yeah! What he said.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Yawn.

Well if you think about it...the US spends BILLIONS on the most cretinous of security "precautions" like stopping people taking a fcuking photo when a cop walks by or some sh1t like that. Their reasoning.....NATIONAL SECURITY!!!! DAMMIT. Or probably even sticking biometric scanners on a public toilet 200 miles from a defunct missile silo. Yet when they get hacked so easily then it's all of a sudden no big deal. Needless to say the government probably paid $250 an hour to some useless consultancy who threw this twitter account together in 5 minutes but charged for 5 months....taxpayers' cash of course.

Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

You'd wager, would you?

Exactly. This is a bit convenient.

Did they brute-force a password? Did they brute-force a password with letters, numbers and symbols? How many characters are in the password? How many password attempts does the platform allow?
    Why are IS/ISIS getting zero day on huge platforms? is there a known exploit?

So far this is bull****.

Of course, its likely the US twitter account holders fault. But IS/ISIS this is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

the password was probably teamamer1ca****yeah or durkadurkam0hammadj1had

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Putin has a team trolls promoting pro-Russian agenda all over the internet, .

They love a nice egg I hear, those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Your pw reset has been sent to admin@arpa.net

<hello>

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Muppets.

No i think that would be the russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Let's not forget backdoors in the underlying internet backbone and encryption systems which were put there by the NSA on the orders of the US government, to make sure the US could steal any online assets they wanted from any private citizen anywhere in the world.

Methinks Heartbleed, this incident and a handful of other highly publicized security breaches over the last few years may be those chickens coming home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ugh so fvcking what, a twitter account got hacked and funny things were posted, big whoop, surely this should be more embarrassing for twitter than anyone else?

Advertisement