Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey Tumbler

Options
  • 12-01-2015 8:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to get my father-in-law a whiskey tumbler as he found his old one broken last month and I've had my first pay cheque in almost a year.

I used to have a Tipperary Crystal tumbler that disappeared after a party last year which was just wonderful. Perfectly weighted and not too ornate but it seems to no longer be available.

am I correct in thinking that it's almost impossible to buy something like this on the 'net without holding it or are there things that I should look out for (like % lead, etc...)

what do you drink your favourite tipple from ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sounds like something you would be best buying in person.

I use a Glencairn glass.

GGlass_Packaging_Box_zps6e250818.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Bought this set in shaws before Christmas.reduced from €120 to €60 for the decanter and 6 tumblers made by royal doultan. Something like that might do

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I use Glencairns for anything expensive and IKEA's very generic whiskey glasses (http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00208788/) for everything else - they have a taller version too which can be handy if you're making certain cocktails. The IKEA ones are VERY cheap but all of them have survived a decent length of time, multiple dishwasher trips and a decent number of bottles going through them.

I find the Glencairns can lift the taste of grain alcohol in blended whiskeys more than I want them to but taste varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My favourite glass at the moment to sample my whiskey wares in is a Single Pot Still branded glass I bought in the Middleton distillery last summer. I had a quick look online and alas I can't seem to find it (I'll see if I can post a picture later). After that I tend to drink from Glencairn glasses that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Waterford do a nice glass : http://www.kilkennydesign.com/shop-online/glass-and-wood/waterford-crystal-tumbler Keep and eye on the shop as Kilkenny have regular sales/promotions and you could be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I have one of these for whiskey imbibing...

OL101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks like an etched Glencairn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Must get myself a couple of these Glencairn glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I have a couple of those Glencairn scotch glasses. I used them for a while but I'm not fussed on them.

I much prefer a nice heavy tumbler style glass.

I've bought a few glasses online but I've never been happy with any of them. I think you really need to go in and feel the weight etc.

The lead % isn't as important as it would be for a decanter. The whiskey shouldn't be sitting in the glass long enough to strip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Greg81

+1 for Glencarin glasses.

image1_zpsa2056271.jpg

From time to time i like to use different tumblers.

image2_zpsa00d6ae7.jpg

My favorite ones are Talisker "wobbly" tumblers.

image3_zps043be11e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As promised please find a piccie of my favourite pot still glass.

335050.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Glencarin glass is the way to go imho. Apparently it is endorsed by most if not all whiskey distilleries both in Ireland and Scotland.

I've told my wife to get me one, it comes in under our Val-day budget too, so it's a good one.

I've a 40 voucher for McHughs which I'll be putting towards a new Scotch very soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've told my wife to get me one, it comes in under our Val-day budget too, so it's a good one.

I've a 40 voucher for McHughs which I'll be putting towards a new Scotch very soon too.

That's the spirit!

Must get myself a couple of these Glencairn glasses.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's the spirit!

:D

YAY, got me a couple of Glencairns!

First up, some Laphroaig for breakfast!

Advertisement