Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldman Sachs, lets have Recession part 2!

Options
  • 12-01-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering does any one else think think this is a bit mad!

Leave the Fox incharge of the Chicken House!

UPDATE 1-Ireland appoints Goldman Sachs to advise on AIB sale.

The appointment of an advisor marks a stepping stone in Ireland's bid to get private investment into AIB after its 2010 nationalisation, but no transaction is likely until the second half of 2015.

The Department of Finance said in a statement that Goldman Sachs was selected after a "mini tender" in December during which banks on a pre-approved panel were invited to bid for the business.

A source familiar with the situation said Goldman Sachs' pitch included doing the work free of charge. A London-based Goldman Sachs spokesman could not immediately comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/12/ireland-banks-sale-idUSL6N0UR1G120150112

"So let's reduce this macro story to human scale. Meet GSAMP Trust 2006-S3, a $494 million drop in the junk-mortgage bucket, part of the more than half-a-trillion dollars of mortgage-backed securities issued last year. We found this issue by asking mortgage mavens to pick the worst deal they knew of that had been floated by a top-tier firm – and this one's pretty bad.

It was sold by Goldman Sachs – GSAMP originally stood for Goldman Sachs Alternative Mortgage Products but now has become a name itself, like AT&T and 3M.

This issue, which is backed by ultra-risky second-mortgage loans, contains all the elements that facilitated the housing bubble and bust. It's got speculators searching for quick gains in hot housing markets; it's got loans that seem to have been made with little or no serious analysis by lenders; and finally, it's got Wall Street, which churned out mortgage "product" because buyers wanted it. As they say on the Street, "When the ducks quack, feed them."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Invest in bit coins, quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Forgot to add, im not big into conspiracy theories, but didn't these guys help with the mess we're in now!

So its back to business for the banks while the rest of us will be railroaded (taxes and more taxes) into footing any bill if any when their gamble fails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Didn't their VP resign because of the morally bankrupt way the company was behaving?

F*ck that shower of c*nts. They were the ones telling us everything was grand last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Goldman Sachs, lets have Recession part 2!

Can we at least have another boom first? Please? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Sure Noonans telling us we may make a profit on selling Bank shares - as long as we forget/ignore what was flushed away on Anglo.:rolleyes:

I wish I could do my household budget that way!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Muckie wrote: »

UPDATE 1-Ireland appoints Goldman Sachs to advise on AIB sale.
    "

Well if they are as good as the consultants costing €50m brought in to launch Irish water then thy are worth every penny............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

it's got loans that seem to have been made with little or no serious analysis by lenders;

Or borrowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Hardly made the news. No special interests there no siree bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Joke to be fair. They are a shower of cowboys.

A source familiar with the situation said Goldman Sachs' pitch included doing the work free of charge. A London-based Goldman Sachs spokesman could not immediately comment.

We are gonna get ridden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Goldman Sachs are the same shower of cnuts that helped Greece cook the books so they could join the euro and the same shower of fcukers that used to employ that arsehole Timothy Geithner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

I wonder do they have any jobs going. Fcuk it if ya can't beat em, join em. Actually 2 Irish lads became elite partners in GS in November. Wonder if its anything to do with this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Invest in bit coins, quick!!

Invest in a certain country which for certain reasons shall go un-named, quick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Brian Lucey - Trinity professor - did a good related article to this:
    https://brianmlucey.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/hyperbolics-banks-and-elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

GS didnt get the moniker of vampire squid for nothing. And the best we had defending Irish interests back in the day was that gimp Lenny

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So its back to business for the banks while the rest of us will be railroaded (taxes and more taxes) into footing any bill if any when their gamble fails!

It's not back to business, just business as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Dr.Teeth

Didn't they also help the Greeks massage the books in order to join the Euro...
    ^^^^ someone got this in already :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

So in simple terms, can someone explain what do I do if I bank with AIB.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So in simple terms, can someone explain what do I do if I bank with AIB.

You do nothing. Banks get bought and sold all the time, and there's no need for people to change their bank just because their existing one has a new owner.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    You do nothing. Banks get bought and sold all the time, and there's no need for people to change their bank just because their existing one has a new owner.

Oh OK, thanks, I got a bit worried they might be sold and take everything I've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Whats the news? Goldman Sachs is what most firms use for IPOs. Goldman Sachs knows the real money will be made when AIB is listed on the stock exchange. AIB was going to have to have a major bank for its IPO whether it be Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Oh OK, thanks, I got a bit worried they might be sold and take everything I've got.

No, that happens.

Your savings/current account is converted to bonds, which will be given away to greedy German bondholders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

We are gonna get ridden.

Not only will we be ridden, but this time their going to put sand through the vaseline they'll be using as lube

whupdedo wrote: »
    Not only will we be ridden, but this time their going to put sand through the vaseline they'll be using as lube

Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

whupdedo wrote: »

How do you know the flotation price?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I presume if we got the AIB 20bn back this would go straight to paying off the national debt a bit? The cynic in me thinks though that some of it may be 'appropriated' for election bribes capital expenditure and tax cuts.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

5starpool wrote: »
    I presume if we got the AIB 20bn back this would go straight to paying off the national debt a bit? The cynic in me thinks though that some of it may be 'appropriated' for election bribes capital expenditure and tax cuts.

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself earlier. Its proper use would be to pay off loans or buy back bonds issued to finance the servicing of the loans. But €20bn sitting in the back pocket of a Minister for Finance with an election coming up is a worrying scenario. I can just see a big chunk of it p*ssed away instead of knocking a couple of years off the country's financial burden in an attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of the electorate. And the really scary thing is they'd probably succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Brian Lucey - Trinity professor - did a good related to this:
    https://brianmlucey.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/hyperbolics-banks-and-elections/
    brevity wrote: »
    Goldman Sachs International, chaired by longtime Fine Gael grandee Peter Sutherland, has been appointed (I’m sure after rigorous searching) to provide financial advice as to what to do with AIB.

I think I'm slowly getting the picture.

Advertisement