Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert maths 2015

Options
  • 12-01-2015 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm doing HL maths for the leaving cert and my teacher is terrible, we were told we'd definitely fail the mocks but I'm just wondering what are the essential chapters I should study to even scrape a pass for the mocks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Calculus, logs, trig, circle and line, financial maths algebra and theorems
    Thats what my teacher said so it may/may not be useful :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Calculus, logs, trig, circle and line, financial maths algebra and theorems
    Thats what my teacher said so it may/may not be useful :)

So, basically everything? :p

To scrape a pass, you're definitely going to need all of the algebra strand, some functions, complex numbers, all of strand 2 and basic knowledge of strand 1.

But it's risky and it might not go well on the day. Go with what spartacus said, learn everything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Know the constructions and theorems like the back of your hand, a few of them always come up and it's very easy marks if you learn them properly. Also study the definitions and types of graphs from the statistics chapter, if you have a bad teacher it's very easy to learn statistics by yourself as it's extremely wordy. Try to get the basics of algebra down as well. Attempt every question on the paper even if you have absolutely no idea, leave NOTHING blank, literally just write anything you can think of and you should pick up attempt marks here and there which will hopefully get you the pass. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Nim wrote: »
    So, basically everything? :p

To scrape a pass, you're definitely going to need all of the algebra strand, some functions, complex numbers, all of strand 2 and basic knowledge of strand 1.

Basically :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Laurentf

emersyn wrote: »
    Know the constructions and theorems like the back of your hand, a few of them always come up and it's very easy marks if you learn them properly. Also study the definitions and types of graphs from the statistics chapter, if you have a bad teacher it's very easy to learn statistics by yourself as it's extremely wordy. Try to get the basics of algebra down as well. Attempt every question on the paper even if you have absolutely no idea, leave NOTHING blank, literally just write anything you can think of and you should pick up attempt marks here and there which will hopefully get you the pass. Good luck :)

My teacher hasn't even taught us any of the theorems or constructions so I'll have to learn them all by scratch and we haven't even started statistics but I'll try learn it myself if it means doing a little bit better! But thank you, I'll answer as much as I can and hopefully I'll build up enough marks to pass!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

We didn't have time to cover the whole course, we pretty much just read over theorems, constructions and statistics at home and the teacher answered any questions in class. And I did okay :)

Advertisement