Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small TV/ media corner unit

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

This is a small project I worked on over the Christmas break, it's a corner TV/media unit. Made from MDF, painted in satinwood, with two removeable shelves in MFC. Total cost of the project was as follows:

Castors: €5 special from Lidl- an absolute bargain, I'm sorry I didn't get more, but they sold out fast!

MDF/ MFC: roughly €30

Clip-on cabinet hinges: €9

Anti-surge extension lead (individually switched): €29

Paint, shelf pins, biscuits, glue and other consumables: €17

Totals at €90 plus my time of course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Did you include the paint in that €90? How did you apply the finish? Roller, brush, sprayed??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Paint is included, I had a couple of half-used and dried out tins that I mixed together and strained before using, so cost was minimal and I was able to get rid of the tins! I primed the cut MDF edges with Zinnser BIN 1-2-3 (water based) and sanded back when dry. I then "primed" the lot with undercoated, thinned with white spirit, rubbed down when dry and then a full coat of undercoat. When rubbed down I applied two full coats of satinwood with a bit of high gloss thrown into the final coat as I felt the first coat of satinwood was very flat on the absorbent MDF (even after two undercoats). I used a sythetic brush to cut in and reach inaccessible areas but bulk of painting was down with a foam roller. The finish was a little "orange peel" in parts (very hard to avoid air bubbles with the foam I suppose?), but it is very passable and I'm more than happy with it. I had to paint it in a dusty workshop so there was some dirt in the final coat. I picked out any imperfections with a fingernail after 24 hours and a hard rub down with a cloth loaded with furniture polish cleaned up any blemishes from this.

Advertisement