Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uppababy Vista with Rumble Seat

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here used a rumble seat (the attachment that turns it into a double buggy) with an Uppababy vista? Baby number two is due in May when my little boy will be a few weeks short of 2. We have a 2013 Uppababy vista. We looked at the rumble seat over the weekend and we're really unsure what to do for a buggy when the new baby is here.

Unlike the new 2015 model the rumble seat can only face one way (towards the parent) and cannot recline. You can only use it with the car seat or with the stroller seat, not with the bassinet/pram attachment - the stroller seat cannot be used until a baby is 4-6 months so that leaves the car seat only at the beginning. Also the rumble seat can only be used up to 35lbs and my little boy is not far off that already. When your older one reaches the 35lbs you're supposed to put the younger one in the rumble seat but as it only sits upright it'd months before the new baba was able for it.

I don't know if it's worth it or what the best option is. My little boy is mad, he cannot be trusted to walk beside you - if you are out and he is not contained in his buggy or trike he will be gone in a flash. Also, he hated slings, they didn't work for us at all and given how active this baby is with the kicks so far I can't be sure this one will be any different so a buggy they can both go in is a must. I can't rely on new baba being happy in a sling while my little boy stats in the buggy.

The 2015 vista and rumble seat look great, it fixes all the concerns I have but unfortunately it's not the model we have. I guess I'm not sure how well the rumble seat will work out or even how often I'm likely to be out by myself with both babies in the buggy. Once the older baby reaches 6 months it looks like it will work well, it's before that I'm concerned about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Woshy I only have one child but when I was choosing our buggy I looked at the vista. IMHO that rumble seat is neither here nor there! I also felt it was too low on the ground and would feel sorry for the child with a view of the back of a car seat etc! It was also crazy heavy to push. For all these reasons we decided to go with our bugaboo and if we ever needed a double we would get a side by side one like the baby jogger city mini double ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I thought the stroller seat was suitable from birth? Either way, I'd be quite happy to put a small baby in there with a good footmuff when fully reclined.

We have the same buggy - in your position, I think I'd go for a buggy board. And (I hope this doesn't sound cruel!) one of those tether straps on his wrist, attached to you or to the buggy, to stop him running away. That way you could use the pram attachment.

Alternatively, I would sell the travel system and buy a new double buggy - resale value is excellent. There are two that are constantly recommended on here, I think the out and about nipper (possibly?) is one and a baby jogger something is the other? Someone please clarify. :D Anyways basically if you sell the system, you'll be able to buy a fantastic new double buggy, suitable from birth, and possibly with change left over. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I thought the stroller seat was suitable from birth? Either way, I'd be quite happy to put a small baby in there with a good footmuff when fully reclined.

We have the same buggy - in your position, I think I'd go for a buggy board. And (I hope this doesn't sound cruel!) one of those tether straps on his wrist, attached to you or to the buggy, to stop him running away. That way you could use the pram attachment.

Alternatively, I would sell the travel system and buy a new double buggy - resale value is excellent. There are two that are constantly recommended on here, I think the out and about nipper (possibly?) is one and a baby jogger something is the other? Someone please clarify. :D Anyways basically if you sell the system, you'll be able to buy a fantastic new double buggy, suitable from birth, and possibly with change left over. ;)

Yes they are baby jogger city mini double and the out n about 360 nipper double.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have an older Phil and teds model that my aunt used I borrowed: I wasn't sure about it (there's 20 months between my two) because one is looking at the back of the other. But honestly I'm so glad now I didn't spend big money: she's 2.5 now and has no interest in the buggy. She will kick and scream if the rain cover goes on: so I would go for it and if needs be in 6/8 months time get a buggy board. Also I live in a small town and if I had a side by side buggy wouldn't be able to get in 2/3 of the shops in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Thanks guys! I'm reluctant to sell and get a double buggy as I do really like the Uppababy and I don't want to be lumbered with a big double buggy when the younger one is the only one using it in the future.

I guess my concern is I do 't know how much my little boy will use the buggy in the future. I have reins for him and I'm trying to get him used to those so I think buggy board plus reins and rumble seat just for when he is tired or I'm in a rush might work. The seat is €100 so it won't break the bank and could be sold on if we end up not using it.

When he was small and I was breastfeeding I was out loads with him meeting up with people etc. I think in my head I keep thinking this time will be the same, conveniently forgetting that I'll have a very busy and active toddler around as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

You can get a new born insert for the main toddler seat thats suitable from birth so you could use both seats.

deecee1 wrote: »
    You can get a new born insert for the main toddler seat thats suitable from birth so you could use both seats.

Yeah, I was looking at that - and the rumble seat manual shows how you can use it with the stroller seat from birth. I know my little boy outgrew the bassinet very Young and was in the stroller by about 3 months.

I think part of the problem is the guy in the shop wasn't great at demonstrating it. Normally the staff there (tony kealy's) are very good but he wasn't the best. The pictures online and in the manual make it look like it would be ok to have the two seats but when he showed us (on our buggy which we had with us) it didn't look as practical (I.e. When you reclined the stroller seat for the younger baby it took up too much space where the older baby's head should be!). I think we need to go back for another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Missymoo15

Woshy, I had the exact same dilemma last year. My son was just 2 when the baby came along. We got the rumble seat and also got the buggy board, but he didn't start to use the board until be was almost 2 1/2. We used the rumble constantly for about 4 months and intermittently after that. He's almost 3 now, big for his age, and still works great...he asks for it on occassion!

I love the way its so easy to attach. Now, I usually have the rumble seat and the board attached, so we have options (depending on his mood ;) )

I agree that there are limitations...esp when you compare it to the new model or to other double buggys...but to be honest I found it great. I had the newborn insert for the baby, so I only ever used the seat for her (i.e. never used the bassinet outside the house). It was comfortable for him (he's tall) and he liked being in it. I used to face the baby to him, and it was good interaction for them. The lack of reclining was never an issue..even though I had thought it would be. It does add a lot of weight to the front of the buggy..but you just used to it.

All in all I thought it was great and would recommend it! Hope thats helpful.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience - that's really reassured me!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cailindeasciun

Missymoo where you able to recline the baby while the toddler was in the rumble seat?

• Advertisement

Cailindeasciun, Yes I can fully recline it- but I always have the toddler seat facing away from me when I have the rumble attached.. there's plenty of room when it's in that direction. I like to have the baby facing my toddler in the rumble seat.They keep each other entertained!
    I've never tried it with the baby facing me, as I didn't like the idea of the toddler just looking at the back of a seat.

Woshy wrote: »
    My little boy is mad, he cannot be trusted to walk beside you - if you are out and he is not contained in his buggy or trike he will be gone in a flash. Also, he hated slings, they didn't work for us at all and given how active this baby is with the kicks so far I can't be sure this one will be any different so a buggy they can both go in is a must. I can't rely on new baba being happy in a sling while my little boy stats in the buggy.

Just in response to your concerns...my son is also MAD!!! He's a bit better now, but when he turned 2 he would run off if you didn't have he strapped/tied to something ;0...he was never going to be a "walk along with the buggy" toddler! And I wouldn't have trusted him on the buggy board..even with a strap. Fine in the park, but I'd be terrified walking on the footpath.
    We tried both the rumble and the board with him in the shop before I bought them.. he wouldn't even stand on the board at that point (he was just 2).

When we decided to go with the rumble I had to be sure he'd willingly get into it... so before baby arrived we made a big fuss of attaching the rumble to the buggy and telling him it was "his special seat"..took him around the house in it a few times, with his teddy in the main seat! So when baby arrived, he immediately wanted to get into it and was delighted with himself. He still loves it (7 months on)...despite being too big for it! Though we mainly use the buggy board now..also a great purchase!

Missymoo15 wrote: »
    Just in response to your concerns...my son is also MAD!!! He's a bit better now, but when he turned 2 he would run off if you didn't have he strapped/tied to something ;0...he was never going to be a "walk along with the buggy" toddler! And I wouldn't have trusted him on the buggy board..even with a strap. Fine in the park, but I'd be terrified walking on the footpath.
    We tried both the rumble and the board with him in the shop before I bought them.. he wouldn't even stand on the board at that point (he was just 2).

When we decided to go with the rumble I had to be sure he'd willingly get into it... so before baby arrived we made a big fuss of attaching the rumble to the buggy and telling him it was "his special seat"..took him around the house in it a few times, with his teddy in the main seat! So when baby arrived, he immediately wanted to get into it and was delighted with himself. He still loves it (7 months on)...despite being too big for it! Though we mainly use the buggy board now..also a great purchase!

Great advice! I didn't think to try his "special seat" on him first. I'll put Georgie pig in the main seat!

He is just a nightmare when we are out, I'm so jealous of parents walking along with a toddler beside them or nicely holding hands. If you let go of him he is gone, off down the street or into traffic as fast as his little legs will carry him. If you hold his hand he just drops to his knees and refuses to move. He's never had a proper tantrum, the dropping to his knees and laughing is his firm of protest.

Twice in the last week he's run off in situations where I was afraid of running as fast as him to catch him for fear of falling myself (once on snow and ice the second time on tiles in a swimming pool) which at 5 months pregnant is a bit scary. No matter how panicked or frantic my voice is he will not respond and keeps on running.

I think the buggy board will have to wait until the end of the year! Like you I just can't trust him on it yet. Great to hear your experiences anyway given the similar age gap :) it's only if I'm by myself I'm concerned. If my husband or someone else is wits me he'll npbe in the trike and perfectly happy

Wooshy, he sounds EXACTLY like my dude!!!! But I will say, once they hit 2 they mature at the rate of knots. I had so many concerns before baby arrived, I wondered how I'd manage him with another baby, especially when he was so difficult while I was pregnant! I need not have worried at all...with time he just became much more manageable; he didn't run off as much, his speech was getting better so communication was easier, he understood that he had to stay near me. I was so pleasantly surprised.. he pulled it out of the bag when the pressure was on!!! Have faith ;)

That's very nice to hear :) he's so good when we're at home, a very easy toddler but going out with him is hard work. He's only 19 months and not really talking yet (although he understands most of what I say) so I guess he has plenty of time to mature. There's 4 months until the baby arrives as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Hi, hope it's ok to hijack with a question on this buggy.

I have it and love it. Got great use from the bassinet.

Bubs is 6 months and have transferred him now from bassinet to stroller seat. It says the seat can be reclined 180 degrees but it seems that while the 'head' part and the feet part can be reclined flat, the bum/seat part is sank in the middle. The feet are therefore above the bum? Is this correct? He is nearly too big for that newborn insert but out of curiosity would he be completely flat using that?

Are other buggies which say they lie complete flat also like this? ie. not completely flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

My little guy is 5 months and not huge for his age but I don't recline him too far back in the buggy. He prefers to be sitting up a little. I never had the newborn insert tho.

For naps/sleeping on walk, I just assumed they would be more comfortable lying flat though, like they would be in the bassinet/carrycot?

Yep our Uppababy is the same, if you put it in the "flat" position, head and feet are a little higher than bum. He's perfectly comfy though. :) However we'd very rarely use it in that position.

Ok thanks. I was expecting a completely flat position. Good to hear your LOs are comfy regardless though.

Would you let them nap in the stroller?

• Advertisement

Absolutely, yeah! :) We have a footmuff that fits into the buggy so the straps go through it and it goes all the way up, so his head rests on it. He's totally snug and cosy!

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable having a newborn in there, even though I've heard it's perfectly fine (in the reclined position) ... from maybe six weeks on though, I'd be totally fine with it

That's great to hear, thanks. Must get a footmuff.

Ours is a fleece one from Baby Elegance, but I think most brands will fit most buggies - don't feel like you need to get the Uppababy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kmmtd

Missymoo15 wrote: »

Any chance you're selling your rumble seat?

kmmtd wrote: »
    Any chance you're selling your rumble seat?

I think I'll be selling mine soon if anyone is interested. I started this thread and found it useful but my little boy is much, much calmer now and my little girl loves the sling so while we used it at first we're not now. We put her in the sling and him in the buggy and when we let him out to walk we put her in it. We bought a newborn insert so she could go in the stroller from birth, with my boy in the rumble seat - I never used the bassinet attachment once. I'll be selling that too.

How much are you looking for the rumble seat? And where are you based? Thanks

Send me a pm and we can discuss! Need to double check with my husband that he doesn't think we'll use it ��

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello,

I have number 2 due in May and will have a 20 month old at that stage. Looking to buy a second hand rumble seat for my 2013/2014 uppa vista as can't seem to buy them in the shops now.

If anyone is finished with theirs and its still in good condition and thinking of selling, please let me know.
    Thank u much.

ruthanne29 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have number 2 due in May and will have a 20 month old at that stage. Looking to buy a second hand rumble seat for my 2013/2014 uppa vista as can't seem to buy them in the shops now.

If anyone is finished with theirs and its still in good condition and thinking of selling, please let me know.
    Thank u much.

Ruthanne trying to pm you but I can't . Can you pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ruthanne - just for info, I rang Tony Kealys 2 weeks ago and they expected them in by the end of Nov. I also had an email from Uppababy saying they are still being manufactured and they expected them to be out in shops again around now.
    I'm due in March and will have a 20month old then too.

Advertisement