Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National fire brigade service outside Dublin

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

Would you be for or against it?

PROS

Greater investment in newer vehicles. Like the National Ambulance Service.

Call out charges would be the same in all the 26 counties or even better abolished

A proper 24hr service in most of the large towns with firefighters based in the station on shifts. (Time my sisters house burned to the ground the fireman across the road had to drive to the station to meet up with other firefighters and bring up three fire trucks (35-40 minutes later they arrived)

CONS

Some stations in villages and small town could be closed. Most of these stations see very little action at all.

Would you support a national fire brigade? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Chris___ wrote: »
    Would you be for or against it?

PROS

Greater investment in newer vehicles. Like the National Ambulance Service.

Call out charges would be the same in all the 26 counties or even better abolished

A proper 24hr service in most of the large towns with firefighters based in the station on shifts. (Time my sisters house burned to the ground the fireman across the road had to drive to the station to meet up with other firefighters and bring up three fire trucks (35-40 minutes later they arrived)

CONS

Some stations in villages and small town could be closed. Most of these stations see very little action at all.

There's a good few pro's and cons to it alright, overall I think some centralisation of it is for the best!

I'm not sure about shutting smaller stations for bigger ones with pernament staff - call volumes may simply be still too low for that in some areas. Having said that there are advantages too! Interestingly I can think of a few scenarios around the country where closing multiple retained stations in favour of one full time would reduce overall response times to everywhere for incidents, one pump stations with extra retained crews possibly (Thats the waterford city model actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Chris___ wrote: »

A proper 24hr service in most of the large towns with firefighters based in the station on shifts.

The cost of a Fulltime service is infinite multiples of a Retained one. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that any more stations will go fulltime.

Most Local Authorities are already doing there best to cut the arse out of the existing service which in itself is working off a pretty low base.

When the DOE, local authority managers and CFO's get their way fire appliances will not leave stations for anything except the equivalent of the Great Fire of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

Ireland does not need two Fire Services no more than we need two Ambulance Services. We have a single Police Service and Coast Guard. A single National Fire Service and a single National Ambulance Service would drive consistency and equity of resource allocation whilst facilitating interagency collaboration at an operational, corporate and emergency management levels.

Ireland does not need two Fire Services no more than we need two Ambulance Services. We have a single Police Service and Coast Guard. A single National Fire Service and a single National Ambulance Service would drive consistency and equity of resource allocation whilst facilitating interagency collaboration at an operational, corporate and emergency management levels.

Let's forget the work of the rnli.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

RNLI are coordinated by the Irish Coast Guard

• Advertisement

RNLI are coordinated by the Irish Coast Guard

Yup. They are a separate organisation to Irish Coast Guard who have their own responders and equipment. Sure, lets merge them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

D4000000124436 a single National Ambulance Service would drive consistency and equity of resource allocation whilst facilitating interagency collaboration at an operational, corporate and emergency management levels.

I'm sorry but you've just swallowed and regurgitated some sort of buzzword, corporate speak manual.

I think it's also fair to say that the National Ambulance Service is far from "national" and consistant in it's operation across the whole of the country.

Just because it's called so doesn't make it so and quoting one of your manuals or memos makes no difference.

Aside from that there is logic in regionalising the Fire Services across the country and ignoring the existing system of county boundries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That's really worked out great for AGS and NAS hasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A bit of rationalization at the upper levels wouldn't go amiss - but most places are going to need to keep the part-time system -
    I often wonder if there should be a lot more commonality/co-ordination in our emergency services as in where to place services, management ect . (I was walking in skibbereen over Christmas and on the same road passed co-councils yard- the fire station -civil defence depot , the fca and the ambulance station is round the corner- not sure where the local coast guard.. I was wondering how much co- ordination /co-operation there is with all the services - )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement