Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing Tracks for Cover Bands

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the best way to obtain multiple backing tracks for a cover band setlist?

Myself and my guitarist have been offered a string of gigs in a local bar. He's only paying us very little and our drummer won't play because he wants €300 a gig from now on. :rolleyes: Last night, I was at a "one-man guitar" cover gig, and he had the backing track's for lead guitar, drum and bass while he played rhythm. It was totally corny, but no-one cared, you don't really look for "artistic development" in that scene anyway. :o

Bottom line is that we need cover tracks for drum & bass to give the sound some body, anyone know how one would go about doing this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

There is a karaoke style website that lets you choose which instruments you want, then you purchase the track for a few quid. AFAIK you can change key as well. Can't vouch for the quality.

http://www.karaoke-version.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭FionnK86

noby wrote: »
    There is a karaoke style website that lets you choose which instruments you want, then you purchase the track for a few quid. AFAIK you can change key as well. Can't vouch for the quality.

http://www.karaoke-version.com/

Not really what I'm looking for Noby, but thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a site with free backing tracks, there are plenty on Youtube but want a full archive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

if you find what you're looking for post in this thread, because I'm otherwise struggling to imagine how it could be available for nothing, when original artist and re-recording musicians would surely need to be paid for their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/bts/Led_Zeppelin.htm

I found this a while ago. It seems to be quite hit and miss in terms of quality, but might be worth looking through?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I found this a while ago. It seems to be quite hit and miss in terms of quality, but might be worth looking through?

I've used that for practice, but like you say it's hit and miss and I'm not sure you'd get enough suitably decent tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Thanks RGDATA! and Ol'Donie, I will give this one a try and see how I get on. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BigBadDom

Where are the gigs and how much is on offer? Expecting 300 quid for a pub gig is ridiculous, I have no idea where your drummer got that idea. He obviously doesn't want to work. If the fee was reasonable, I'd do those gigs for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

I remember looking for backing tracks. For obvious reasons, they are extremely hard to find. Very rarely, you find one-two songs. Then there is a dream theater album which was released with separated tracks, but that's only one happy coincidence I can remember... Buying them could be a good investment if you really can gig with them. Seriously think of the effort in making them...

Ps.: your drummer wants 300 per night by himself?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

FionnK86 wrote: »
    ...our drummer won't play because he wants €300 a gig from now on. ....

Not exactly on-topic, but is your drummer trying to say that he wants to leave the band...

Buying them could be a good investment if you really can gig with them. Seriously think of the effort in making them...

I agree. For a gigging band surely they're worth the investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 BigBadDom

There are plenty of sites that do tracks, but if you were to build a set out of free tracks you download from the internet, you'll have quality issues, you'll have level issues and not to mention, many of them just sound cheap and nasty, like pushing the 'demo' button on a cheap keyboard.
    I'd sack what ever drummer you have. 300 Euro for a pub gig?!? It actually sounds like he is taking the piss so you'll drop him and find someone else. I've been playing gigs for over 20 years and I have never heard of a pub paying out that sort of money for one individual, unless 300 euros is the fee for the gig. I would do two piece gigs and that would be the fee, for example. A wedding, a corporate gig, doing larger venues with a successful original act, then we can realistically start talking about 300 euros, not a pub gig. That's is just someone who doesn't want to gig with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

Just Make the investment and buy good tracks, they'll be better quality and more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Where do you lads recommend for buying tracks?

Advertisement