Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlecode (AI competition)

• 11-01-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if any of you have heard of Battlecode: www battlecode org <- can't post links.

From their website: Battlecode (6.370) is MIT's longest running hardcore programming competition, featuring a unique challenge that combines battle strategy, software engineering and artificial intelligence. Both beginner and advanced coders are welcome.

Anyone's welcome to join, but you can only win prizes if you're a student right now, or at least half of your team is. (Might want to check this out I didn't look into it.)

You can write entries in Java, and there's loads of resources to get you started; stuff that would probably be interesting whether you're entering or not. I've been working on a bot for the past few days it's actually really fun. I'm going to loose the tournaments horribly, but i'll learn a lot at least!

Join me for scrims if ya want :P
    -Oisin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

How'd you get on Oisin? At any point were you concerned that your creation might escape to the data web and evolve, initiating a chain of events which would spell the end of the human race? : )

• Registered Users Posts: 32 oisincar

Haha no i wasn't concerned, if my bots existed in the real world they'd probably drown themselves or just get lost. Some of the top bots looked a little uncanny though, they'd all move together like some sort of hivemind.

I got on pretty decently, if i do say so myself. I only really entered for the initial (sprint) competition, and made it to the 3rd round (knocking out a team which was apparently from MIT (waheyyyy!)), and I was around 7W/12L before it. I wasn't really expecting to do that well, especially since there was a huge amount i knew could be improved on. I ended up getting sidetracked with school stuff (Mocks... yay.) so i couldn't really keep up with the other teams and ended up getting knocked out in the first round in the final tournament. Ah well! I'm going to go full tryhard for next years competition. Already looking forward to it actually.

Oh and thanks for asking! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Nicely done! Are there any videos of your bots in action?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 oisincar

Hmm lemme check... Ok here's my only tournament victory (oops, spoilers), in a bo3 with some nail biting commentary! I'm Masteroffubot... Yeah, idk.
    www twitch tv/m4xmann/c/5888863?t=2h36m18s

Advertisement