Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private training

Options
  • 11-01-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Is there any place in Ireland that I could get private military training. A few weeks or a month of boot camp. Don't plan on waging my own private war or anything.

Always regret not joining the army.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

What exactly are you asking?

Are you looking for a fitness boot camp? Or are you looking for somewhere that will teach you tactics, weapons proficiency?

If it's the second one.....nowhere legal will teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Was kinda hoping for both. Can see how the weapons proficiency would be illegal. But learning tactics and war games would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

somuj wrote: »
    Was kinda hoping for both. Can see how the weapons proficiency would be illegal. But learning tactics and war games would be interesting.

If you join a gun club they may teach you basic marksmanship principles. You could pay a company to teach you close protection and advanced driving skills. Mountaineering clubs will teach you how to map read and nav during day and night.

Tactics can pretty much be got from the internet. Other stuff like survival, map reading, etc can also be found from the internet.

It's not the same as being taught by an organisation and being tested etc but it might fill the gap that is annoying you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭cw67irl

There's an Ex ARW Soldier Danny Cluskey I think is his name he runs a lot of courses he also runs a private security company. Easter something I think? Easter Hill maybe? But id imagine it will cost you a fortune to do a months worth of courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Is there any place in Ireland that I could get private military training. A few weeks or a month of boot camp. Don't plan on waging my own private war or anything.

Join the army reserves?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What about that airsoft stuff for doing tactics and such? Wont cost you as much as a course if you are not interested professionally and with any luck you wont get a house call from Special Branch. Of course the guns arent real but its probably more militaristic than joining a gun club

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

cw67irl wrote: »
    There's an Ex ARW Soldier Danny Cluskey I think is his name he runs a lot of courses he also runs a private security company. Easter something I think? Easter Hill maybe? But id imagine it will cost you a fortune to do a months worth of courses

Global Risk Solutions is the name of the company:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

What about that airsoft stuff for doing tactics and such? Wont cost you as much as a course if you are not interested professionally and with any luck you wont get a house call from Special Branch. Of course the guns arent real but its probably more militaristic than joining a gun club

Playing airsoft may scratch the OP's itch, but most real-world military tactics either don't work in airsoft or are irrelevant. Any of the real soldiers who play will tell you that. The maximum practical range in airsoft under Irish power limits is about 50 metres. There are a few tactics that work - sort of - but only if you're playing with the same people every week, only if you're playing MilSim, and mostly at events abroad.

You'll get a bit of fitness, lots of friendship, lots of craic, and if you take it seriously some handling practice. And, of course, the dress-up opportunities.

In Ireland, no drills training and very little tactics. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Go to the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

My brother showed me something you can do in Lithuania, tactical weapons training courses. Google it.

Or join the RDF if you're of age, always a worthwhile thing to do if you're living and working in Ireland.

• Advertisement

OzCam wrote: »
    Playing airsoft may scratch the OP's itch, but most real-world military tactics either don't work in airsoft or are irrelevant. Any of the real soldiers who play will tell you that. The maximum practical range in airsoft under Irish power limits is about 50 metres. There are a few tactics that work - sort of - but only if you're playing with the same people every week, only if you're playing MilSim, and mostly at events abroad.

You'll get a bit of fitness, lots of friendship, lots of craic, and if you take it seriously some handling practice. And, of course, the dress-up opportunities.

In Ireland, no drills training and very little tactics. Sorry.
    Aye but he mentioned wargames, where else will you get to do that in Ireland privately? Sure he wont learn anything real world but since he's not interested in becoming a professional the milsim tactics might be enough to scratch the itch as you say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Due to firearms regulations you will be limited.

If you have the money go to Russia. Ex Spetznaz run courses, you also get to fire AK47s and RPGs and make Para jumps.

There you go, get yourself to Siberia and bring 5k

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/russian_ryazan_airborne.html

Heres another

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/russian_vityaz.html

You can even do HALO Parachuting

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/halo-jumping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

http://www.thecraft.com/

You could try these guys in the states, it's the company started by Chris Kyle, American Sniper

He doesn't habe the greatest rep to be honest.. Some odd stories told about him, most told by himself

Advertisement