Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In six months we will be closer to 2030 than the year 2000

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Do you feel old now?

Comments

In 2030 I will feel like a King!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

MadsL wrote: »
    Do you feel old now?

I felt old in 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

In 2030 I will be near retirement! Plan to retire young.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A few things from 2000.

May 2nd - President Bill Clinton announces that accurate GPS access would no longer be restricted to the United States military.

May 23rd - Eminem releases 3rd studio album 'The Marshall Mathers LP', is fastest ever selling studio album (Grammy - Best Rap Album 2001)

Jun 19th - Tiger Woods wins golf's US Open by 15 shots, a record for all majors, with a US Open to-par record score of -12

Jul 9th - 107th Wimbledon Women's Tennis: Venus Williams beats L Davenport (6-3 7-6)

Jul 25th - Air France Flight 4590, a Concorde supersonic passenger jet, F-BTSC, crashes just after takeoff from Paris killing all 109 aboard and 4 on the ground.

Sep 15th - Opening ceremony of the XXVII Olympics in Sydney, Australia

Nov 11th - In Kaprun, Austria, 155 skiers and snowboarders die when a cable car catches fire in an alpine tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

In 2030 we'll be nearer 2000 than 2100.
    Do you feel young again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

A few things from 2030. **

May 2nd - President Chelsea Clinton announces that GPS chips would be imbedded in all existing and future resident non nationals.

May 23rd - U2's new album is released to a barrage of criticism as Lord Bono has insisted that it be piped in to every room in every home in the western hemisphere - twice a day.

Jun 19th - Tiger Woods hosts the annual Playboy masters at his Playboy mansion home. Extra points for a hole in one in the 'cave'.

Jul 9th - 137th Wimbledon Women's Tennis: Venus Williams beats S Williams (6-3 7-6)

Jul 25th - Ryan air flight FR 332 from Dublin to Tokyo experiences engine failure. All passengers parachute out successfully and land in a field in belgium. Ryan air charge them all a Parachute usage fee and landing fees.

Sep 15th - Opening ceremony world up in Dubai is hosted by 95 year old FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

Nov 11th - Forest fires in the Austrian alps due to hot weather and drought.

**These may not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

In 6 months we will be closer to 2016 than 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

All years are fictions established by a species obsessed with an abstract linear time because of their short linear lives where in fact time is not constant but fluctuates depending on velocity and gravitational force.

In actual fact there is no such time as 2000, 2015 or 2030.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

No Sh!t Sherlock ! :pac:

tomorrow's Monday as well btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

It's interesting to think that many children born today will live to see the first years of the 22nd century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

All years are fictions established by a species obsessed with an abstract linear time because of their short linear lives where in fact time is not constant but fluctuates depending on velocity and gravitational force.

In actual fact there is no such time as 2000, 2015 or 2030.

I'm trying that out tomorrow morning when I'm late for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Do you feel old now?
    Aren't we closer to it now by 11 days ;) What has it got to do with feeling older though, every day you live is a day closer to your death :eek: you can either ignore it or moan about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

**today**

I'm closer to death than I was yesterday.

YOLO bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

FURET wrote: »
    It's interesting to think that many children born today will live to see the first years of the 22nd century.

You writing the rest of us off lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Depressed.

We need to go back to the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In 6 months I'll be 40! Likely less days ahead than there are behind, less time working to try and put together a decent retirement plan (decimated after the last few years) etc...

On the plus side, I have that mid-life crisis of ridiculously expensive but cool sports cars and trying to recapture my drunken 20s (and a 20-something year old to go with it) to look forward to....
    Nah, that's probably even more unlikely than the 2030 predictions above :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

My birthday is closer to the first moon landings than it is to now, and I'm only 25. That makes me feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

FURET wrote: »
    You writing the rest of us off lol

FURET is writing us off...

On the TED hour on Newstalk they were talking about what was predicted in 1984.
    Then it was predicted we would have devices that would be small and what we see on the screen would be controlled by touch.
    Steve Jobs made it a reality on a mass scale.

For the future it is predicted we will be able to grow our own organs in a labs, so if we need a new heart, cells will be taken from our heart and then grown in a lab to produce a new heart. They said it is already possible to grow bone in a lab and we will have new joints in the future grown from our own bone.
    The advancement in gene therapy and the understanding of the genome along with the knowledge on how to grow organs that we need, is expected to give us many extra years of life in the future, most conservative is a minimum 5 years on average to over 20 years on average.
    I'm saving for my pension, hoping for a long retirement, need the money to grow myself new organs, maybe some of this will be around by 2030.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Do you feel old now?
    At least primary school was,nt a total waste.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1989 was 26 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It's over 15 years since the end of the world already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

It's over 15 years since the end of the world already!
    Stop listening to gobsh1te Geldof ;) he's being paid to spew that nonsense. Just saying, of course I know well nobody takes any notice of him :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Atomicchilli

In 2000 were people seeing the same thing about 1985 and 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I remember for years people said the world would end on the 21st December 2012. That's now over two years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

In six months we will be closer to 2030 than the year 2000

And when you finish reading this post you will be closer to death.

Advertisement