Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bord gais bill

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭

Got my current estimated gas bill from middle of November to start of January and its crazy high. Not a chance that it should be the figured quoted. Does anyone know how you go about getting bird Gaia to rectify the error. Do you have to ask them to send out an official to make an accurate reading. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can take a reading yourself and submit it online or via phone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The best thing is to take the current reading and compare it to the latest estimated reading. If higher pay the bill, if lower contact Bord Gais and give them your reading. I am sure somewhere on the bill will explain about taking your own reading and contacting them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭billyhead

The best thing is to take the current reading and compare it to the latest estimated reading. If higher pay the bill, if lower contact Bord Gais and give them your reading. I am sure somewhere on the bill will explain about taking your own reading and contacting them

Thanks for the answers. I took a current reading and on the bill they send me they had that I used 277 units since my last bill whereas I only actually used 3 :eek:. The bill should have been no more then 1/4 of what it was. I submitted the new reading online. Do they amend the current bill and send on a correct one?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Call them ask to cancel the last bill and for them to re issue a new one based on the actual reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will do. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭scanlanavia

Celestica in UK have dropped Gas by 5%. Will Celestica follow suit and ask its entity Bord Gais do likewise here in Ireland. Irish customers are paying well over the odds for Gas and Electricity these days given the drop in wholesale rates of Gas and Oil. a major input to Irish electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers. I took a current reading and on the bill they send me they had that I used 277 units since my last bill whereas I only actually used 3 :eek:. The bill should have been no more then 1/4 of what it was. I submitted the new reading online. Do they amend the current bill and send on a correct one?

3 Units in 6 weeks?
    Are you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dobsdave wrote: »
    3 Units in 6 weeks?
    Are you sure?
    If the previous reading was also estimated and way above the actual reading then it could well be the case that the op's actual reading is for only 3 units or even that the estimates are higher than the actual usage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Celestica in UK have dropped Gas by 5%. Will Celestica follow suit and ask its entity Bord Gais do likewise here in Ireland. Irish customers are paying well over the odds for Gas and Electricity these days given the drop in wholesale rates of Gas and Oil. a major input to Irish electricity.

Do you mean Centrica?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If the previous reading was also estimated and way above the actual reading then it could well be the case that the op's actual reading is for only 3 units or even that the estimates are higher than the actual usage!

Yeah I know, its just that the OP said their actual usage was 3 which sounds like they only used 3.
    Now thats a bill I would like :-)

• Advertisement

Scottish power drops gas by 4.8%. Not a budge by Irish Gas retailers... are we to be surprised

oh yes Centrica !!...
    Irish energy regulator abstains from dealing with Price... can you believe that? not much muscle there...

and we wonder where our spending power disappears every year....

now that Bord Gais was sold out to UK firm. do we have to go cap in hand to plead for savings to be passed on...

if Centrica sets the price. the others in the cartel are happy with status quo. result is consumers get screwed + VAT.
    government is "silent" winner and not on consumer side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

billyhead wrote: »

If you live in the property, then 3 units used is highly unrealistic.
    dobsdave wrote: »
    3 Units in 6 weeks?
    Are you sure?

OP hasnt mentioned anything about estimated units being a concern before? in my experience Bord gais will alternate any estimated billing so the previous bill should have been an actual reading. If there was some balance from a previous estimation it should have been corrected, but in any case, 3 units would be the balance owed in the billing but not the units used, if they had overestimations of usage before, but 3 per billing period is not anywhere usual.
    Ive a gas cooker and boiler, so Id use units during the summer when the boiler isnt on or on as much, but as Im paying a standing charge regrdless and cooking/heating using gas is cheaper it may as well be used, having said that, I had a larger than expected bill for a similar period, thought it was 8 weeks billing though for bord gais.
    Suprised me initially but it was colder too and the heating though on as little as possible, was on each day to keep the heat in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@scanlanavia: Pricing and regulation are off topic. Please confine your posts to helping the OP with an apparent billing anomaly. Thanks.

Ok back on topic !

3 units ?? are you joking...
    Broken meter then

and by the way Bord Gais did actually reduce today by ONLY 3.5% ( tucking away 1.5% under the counter for Mr. Centrica )
    you should be worrying about your next 3,000 units really... and shop around

Advertisement