Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do we put celebs on to high a pedestal?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

The crash in athy was an awful awful tragedy,no one will deny that but this is a joke.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/thousands-join-petition-asking-ed-sheeran-to-visit-tragic-athy-crash-survivor-30897113.html

I mean if i was ed sheeran i would be going ah ffs hold on a minute. I feel sorry for the guy.he shouldnt have to feell obligated to get involved in every sad case that happens like this.
    Nor any other celeb for that matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

crazygeryy wrote: »
    The crash in athy was an awful awful tragedy,no one will deny that but this is a joke.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/thousands-join-petition-asking-ed-sheeran-to-visit-tragic-athy-crash-survivor-30897113.html

I mean if i was ed sheeran i would be going ah ffs hold on a minute. I feel sorry for the guy.he shouldnt have to feell obligated to get involved in every sad case that happens like this.
    Nor any other celeb for that matter.

Thats the media for u...its surprising how they can make...or break wannabe celebs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

chrysagon wrote: »
    Thats the media for u...its surprising how they can make...or break wannabe celebs!

Seen this on Facebook. I feel sorry for them all but I think this is abit soon. The poor girl has lost her 4 friends I don't think a visit from anyone would make her feel better. And I think it's unfair on the other family's they only buried there daughter's yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Bono is organising a cycling fund raiser to help out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I almost cried watching the news and the horrific scenes of the crash scene. However I don't know what getting ed sheeran to meet the survivor is going to achieve.

"Hi, sorry to hear about your accident and the loss of your friends"

"Thanks"

*awkward silence*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Maybe choose a more specific thread title.

It´s completely ridiculous. Surely the petition should be for the best medical treatment for the girl and/or better awareness of road safety.

Ed Sheeran should just ignore this. Are celebrities to be expected to jump every time some group of teenagers organizes some nonsense like this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It is hard on Ed Sheeran too.

If he says No, press will say he is a cold-hearted SOB who refused to visit grief stricken person.

Press & public love to "big" someone up one minute & knock them the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Sometimes i find the press very insensitive to peoples situations etc,they tend to think of their publication and sales, and little of the family/friends left behind in tragedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think the title matches the post. I also don't think the pedestal is too high but we put the wrong people on it, society worships idiots who have never done anything useful and just look good, e.g. Singers and Footballers, but people like Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins and Neil de Grasse Tyson are largely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Trying to organise Ed Sheeran to call to her in itself is not that bad if it was done quietly. It's the whole publicity of it looks like they are trying to force his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Did I read that Ed does a load of meet and greets with fans who have/had serious problems in their life?

He kinda brings this kind of situation on himself by doing so or at least by making it so publicized so every one wants a piece of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What morons signed that petition.

F off and let that girl alone.

Some random that strums a guitar isnt going to help the situation ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

I despair for the world sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

Its the brother of the girl in hospital that started all this which is the strangest part I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Ed who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Because celebs impact the lives of more people. They are more significant to society.

If I were to die today, my family and a few close friends would be sad. A few coworkers would be like, 'Whoa, he was so young. Life is so precious' but they'd be fine almost immediately. At most, 50 people, would care.

When Robin Williams died, millions of people cared. Should they have? I don't know, but they *did* care. They felt an emotional connection with him or they loved his movies and his performances so much that they were distraught by the lose of any possibility of a new Robin Williams movie. His work impacted the lives of man, many millions of people.

What is more appropriate for the news? Something that affects 50 people or 50 million? What are people more likely to talk about around the water cooler, the death of someone one guy knows or the death of someone everyone knows (at least in the sense that we know of celebs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Yeah it's her brother who seems to be doing a lot of the pushing of this.

I hate judging because we all have different ways of grieving and of finding ways of helping us to cope. And thank God I have never even come close to having a tragedy like this darken my door.

So on one hand, I think it's great to see people trying to deal with their grief in a positive way, trying to bring joy to a young woman who will be carrying the most horrific burden for the rest of her life.

On the other hand, I feel sorry for Ed Sheeran in this, because if you say yes to this request, where does it stop. He has already proven himself to be more than generous with time for his fans, but he can't do everything and nor should he be expected to. Plus it's just so soon- whilst the families of the 4 deceased are in the throes of grief, it could ultimately be seen as a little insensitive to be looking for a visit from a celebrity for the one surviving girl. I personally wouldn't be doing this or be comfortable with it, but that's just me.

Then again, we don't know what conversations all the families have had, and maybe they're all behind it- so we shouldn't judge really. But in response to the original question, and in relation to this particular event, I have to say that I'm afraid I do think it's a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Best thing for him to do would be to make her a video saying get well soon and maybe sing a song or two for her. He could end up having to make 50 of them a week though if everyone starts making petitions, that could be a pain.

Advertisement