Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young Driver - Looking for cheap ins. on decent motor?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,
    I'll be looking at buying my first car over the next few months and have some money put away for it and insurance (I will hopefull be on full licence by then) .
    I'm looking for suggestions on cars nicer than the likes of micras or puntos that are manageable to insure for young drivers? I have a motorcycle policy with liberty, are they recommended for first timers?
    Interested in anything similar to 1.3 Mazda RX8 but quotes are not coming back favorably.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You're going to have to think outside the box. Go for mid/high range saloons/estates with decent engines as opposed to the hatches/saloons all the other young drivers use. If people in your age profile aren't driving a car then there won't be many claims for the insurance companies to create a loading for you. You may have to bite the bullet on motor tax

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Despite the small capacity engine tax class, the RX-8 has 190bhp to 230bhp, is a performance car and insurance companies don't see it any other way. As a young driver you will find it very difficult if not impossible to get any insurance to even quote you on such a car.

My advices is to learn to walk before learning to run as they say. Everyone wants to hit the ground running but insurance is expensive and insurance companies calculate risk on statistics and statistics show that young drivers especially makes are the highest risk for them. Buy something for a few years that is cheap to insure which allows you to build up your driving experience and NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Illeagle

This is really helpful info. I am more inclined to lean towards the mid range saloon/estate as opposed to buying something cheap I won't really enjoy for the next few years, but I completely understand where you are coming from.
    Any suggestions as to mid range cars that might have less loaded premiums?
    Thanks a million for all your help guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Something like a 1.4 Corolla, relatively nippy enough for it's class and does't tend to get loaded by insurance companies like similar Golfs and Boras these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Illeagle

This is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for, thank you I will look into it !

• Advertisement
Advertisement