Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Geography

Options
  • 10-01-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Ok I know this is probably a crazy idea, but I want to drop history and take up geography now instead. History is far to stressful for me and I know learning a new subject will be too but I really think it'd be less stress than history!

Could anyone give me a breakdown of the course, I know there's 20% for project so that will be great. Also if there's anything on the course that I could maybe cut out ?

would really appreciate any help, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

If you are in 5th year, I don't think switching is wise at all.
    If you are in 6th year you are crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Geography is all about stating something, backing it up with a fact/example and relating it to the question.

If you can learn facts and grasp ideas easily, then maybe you could try. Just keep in mind, you're half a year behind now - so you're looking at studying over the summer and doing really good grinds.

A lot of stuff to learn for geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

If you're in 6th year you would have to be mad to try and take it up at this stage. There is just so many essays to learn that you couldn't possibly do well in it without it affecting your other subjects at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orangey24

Thanks for the replies! I'm in sixth year and I know it's a crazy idea. I'm adamant not to do history but need another higher subject instead. My options are geography or music... I could sing for 50 percent for music but I dunno about the theory bit so kinda edging towards geography. I am well up to date and strong in my other subjects so I don't really think I'll have too much bother with balance. I am willing to get grinds, work hard, change to geo classes at school. I just am struggling either to choose music or geo 😥 the others in geo say it's very easy, like not one person said its not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Of course it's easy, if you've been doing it since 1st year to 6th year. It is not going to be easy at all to switch. I have over 60 essays from 5th year to now... how will you learn all the essays and get your project completed in time without affecting other subjects?!? :confused:
    You will need to learn map skills etc
    Sorry for sounding harsh but I've been doing Geo since 1st year and I think it would be better to just stay with history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

You are mental even talking about this, and this is coming from a teacher. You have to bear in mind that the school may not allow you to switch over to the class in school. I certainly would not accept anyone into one of my classes at this stage in 6th year.

You also have to think about the fact that most subjects would be almost finished the course at this stage so may not be actually doing much teaching for the rest of the year may just be revision type stuff.

Have you discussed this with your year head, parents, anyone?

Of course it's easy, if you've been doing it since 1st year to 6th year. It is not going to be easy at all to switch. I have over 60 essays from 5th year to now... how will you learn all the essays and get your project completed in time without affecting other subjects?!? :confused:
    You will need to learn map skills etc
    Sorry for sounding harsh but I've been doing Geo since 1st year and I think it would be better to just stay with history.
    No no I appreciate your honesty :) thank you, I get what you mean :/ gonna talk to few teachers tomoro to see what's best ...

seavill wrote: »
    You are mental even talking about this, and this is coming from a teacher. You have to bear in mind that the school may not allow you to switch over to the class in school. I certainly would not accept anyone into one of my classes at this stage in 6th year.

You also have to think about the fact that most subjects would be almost finished the course at this stage so may not be actually doing much teaching for the rest of the year may just be revision type stuff.

Have you discussed this with your year head, parents, anyone?
    . Thanks for your reply. I have talked to my dad and he doesn't think it's a good idea but he can see how stressed history is making me so he doesn't really know what's best... My friends are encouraging me to do music or geo and said we can have study groups which will help. They know how determined I am so they think it would be no bother to me... Yea I get you that teachers wouldn't be happy but my school is pretty small so I don't think it would be that much of a problem. Yea I understand. I'm going to go to the guidance teacher tomorrow and the teachers but in all honesty I can't cope with history but need higher subject

You want to take it to higher level???? That's even more mad, I thought you were only going to take it to pass just to have a backup.

Obvioulsy you are fairly adament which is fair enough and your choice. No offence to anyone but don't listen to your friends, they have no idea and no experience in the matter. Your teachers are the ones to listen to tomorrow. I'd be shocked if any of them agree with you that its a good idea. Please come back tomorrow and let us know how it goes. Are you planning on getting grinds a few times a week between now and June?

How long does the project take to do? If I remember correctly the classes in my school used to go to the beach to look at specific things, not sure exactly the ins and outs of the project but if your school have already done this will you be able to do it, is it something that needs to be supervised by a teacher? Lots to think about but in reality you won't know anything until you speak to the teachers tomorrow.

As I said I think you are completely mental to be even thinking about it. Listen to the experts and those with experience, not your friends. (again I mean no offence to anyone in saying that)

seavill wrote: »
    You want to take it to higher level???? That's even more mad, I thought you were only going to take it to pass just to have a backup.

Obvioulsy you are fairly adament which is fair enough and your choice. No offence to anyone but don't listen to your friends, they have no idea and no experience in the matter. Your teachers are the ones to listen to tomorrow. I'd be shocked if any of them agree with you that its a good idea. Please come back tomorrow and let us know how it goes. Are you planning on getting grinds a few times a week between now and June?

How long does the project take to do? If I remember correctly the classes in my school used to go to the beach to look at specific things, not sure exactly the ins and outs of the project but if your school have already done this will you be able to do it, is it something that needs to be supervised by a teacher? Lots to think about but in reality you won't know anything until you speak to the teachers tomorrow.

As I said I think you are completely mental to be even thinking about it. Listen to the experts and those with experience, not your friends. (again I mean no offence to anyone in saying that)
    Yea I'm planning to get grinds but mainly just self taught I guess. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow. They haven't done the project yet, they're doing it sometime in March so I have a few weeks from now to then to get a bit of revision in. I understand where you're coming from. Appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Assuming you're doing 7/8 subjects and you're positive you don't want to do history, would it not be better to drop it and use it as a study period to focus on your remaining 6/7 subjects? I still wouldn't advise it but it's a lot less crazy than trying to pick up a new subject at this stage of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Your school is leaving it quite late to do the project... :eek:
    We did ours in October.... knowing this new info I definitely would not advise taking it up. The project has to be written up for sometime in April... which would leave you even more stressed out
    But yes seek a teacher's advice. That's what they are there for. Best of luck. :)

I think its April 24th

Magnate wrote: »
    Assuming you're doing 7/8 subjects and you're positive you don't want to do history, would it not be better to drop it and use it as a study period to focus on your remaining 6/7 subjects? I still wouldn't advise it but it's a lot less crazy than trying to pick up a new subject at this stage of the year.

8 subjects:
    HOME EC (H)
    BIOLOGY (H)
    IRISH (H)
    FRENCH(H)
    HISTORY (H)
    LCVP (C) the six that I'm counting and then ordinary maths and english. I would do that but that would mean only having 4 highers and therefore won't be enough points wise for my course :( Thanks for the reply

Your school is leaving it quite late to do the project... :eek:
    We did ours in October.... knowing this new info I definitely would not advise taking it up. The project has to be written up for sometime in April... which would leave you even more stressed out
    But yes seek a teacher's advice. That's what they are there for. Best of luck. :)

Yea I was thinking that myself, very late! Thanks a million :) I'll see what happens tommorow. might be edging a bit more towards music instead of geo, but see what happens :)

orangey24 wrote: »
    8 subjects:
    HOME EC (H)
    BIOLOGY (H)
    IRISH (H)
    FRENCH(H)
    HISTORY (H)
    LCVP (C) the six that I'm counting and then ordinary maths and english. I would do that but that would mean only having 4 highers and therefore won't be enough points wise for my course :( Thanks for the reply

That's still 530 points max then with 4 higher level, LCVP distinction and one ordinary level. It's probably easier to put the work into them than to take up a new subject. What course are you looking at?

Magnate wrote: »
    That's still 530 points max then with 4 higher level, LCVP distinction and one ordinary level. It's probably easier to put the work into them than to take up a new subject. What course are you looking at?

more than likely get B3s in home ec, bio, and french. Teacher said I'm capable of a B1 in Irish. Probably a B in ord eng tho so altogether roughly 415 points unfortunately not enough...

Really want to do the Applied Languages course in UL :) ... but it's 440 points

orangey24 wrote: »
    more than likely get B3s in home ec, bio, and french. Teacher said I'm capable of a B1 in Irish. Probably a B in ord eng tho so altogether roughly 415 points unfortunately not enough...

Really want to do the Applied Languages course in UL :) ... but it's 440 points

25 points off and you're aiming for B3s?

It's infinitely easier to marginally improve those subject and put the work into them instead, especially if you drop history and use it as a study period!

Picking up a new subject is madness especially when you have 90 point margin! It would impact on your other subjects and you could end up with even less points altogether. God I thought you needed to get as close to the 530 as possible. I'm sorry but picking up geography/music now is a terrible idea. Even putting the work into one of your B3 subjects and getting an A1 would be enough to get 440!

Advertisement