Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keys for rented house. One key does all. Can't be copied

Options
  • 10-01-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Many moons ago I rented a house and had very strange keys and locks. The one key opened all the exterior doors and you could not go into a locksmiths and copy them, they had to be ordered. I asked the landlord why this was and he said he had trouble with previous tenants copying keys and that the expense of changing locks was a lot to prevent previous tenants coming back into to property.

Jump ahead a few year and I'm currently getting a property ready for renting. I'm looking to find these keys/locks but don't know where to go for them. Would anyone know the name of these keys/locks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your local locksmith would, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I would be interested in hearing about it here, if anyone has info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Are they the Mul-T-Lock?My Dad had them for his b&b.
    He got them from Fogarty's in Dame lane D2

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

I'm sure they are many different brands of these. I know the type I have for my workplace is an Abloy key and to get a copy we need to provide a key registration card that was provided with the keys/locks in order to get a copy. Your local locksmith should be able to help you out as I imagine they are pretty common nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

if you are in dublin try crothers in walkinstown or Browns in dun laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Would anyone know what I need to ask for. I'd seem stupid trying to explain my situation lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

adam88 wrote: »
    Would anyone know what I need to ask for. I'd seem stupid trying to explain my situation lol

just tell them you want one of those keys that can't be copied. Well actually they can be copied but you need to get permission. Some apartments have them and you need to write to the management company for a copy and then they get crothers to copy it. There is another option which might be cheaper.....crothers do there own normal keys that no other locksmith can copy only them but if you bring the key to crothers they will copy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

A restricted master key system. Some locksmiths can build them so you don't have to wait weeks for an order from the manufacturer. You'll probably need 'Euro' profile cylinders and will have to measure each door to determine the correct length. They're often not equal on the outside and the inside from the lock centre. It's not difficult but I suggest you google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Ask them for multi lock. Not sure what part of the country you are in but collerans in galway do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP are you sure it's worth the expense? My parents are landlords and never had the issues you highlighted. If a tenant losses a key take it from their deposit. A internal door locks are very cheap to replace any way. Any one can replace them if needed

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    OP are you sure it's worth the expense? My parents are landlords and never had the issues you highlighted. If a tenant losses a key take it from their deposit. A internal door locks are very cheap to replace any way. Any one can replace them if needed

It's the front and back door keys I'd be worried about. It would mean I'd have to change the locks everytime someone moved out

It's the front and back door keys I'd be worried about. It would mean I'd have to change the locks everytime someone moved out

Know you wouldn't. They can't get keys cut without the card and code

JillyQ wrote: »
    Know you wouldn't. They can't get keys cut without the card and code

Yes that's exactly what I want. But the previous poster said to use normal locks and take the cost of lost keys out of their deposit. Well at least that's what I think she meant

Yes that's exactly what I want. But the previous poster said to use normal locks and take the cost of lost keys out of their deposit. Well at least that's what I think she meant

If you google multi lock it may come up with some suppliers in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think it's a bad idea.

What if the tenant has a friend come to stay, or gets sick and home-care workers need to be given a key? What if you want to give a key to a (trusted obviously) tradesperson, but don't want to give them the only copy. What is the tenant is going on holiday and wants to leave a key with a friend who'll come in once a week to water plants. Etc.

AFAIK, you can change the keys to a lock without changing the lock itself. Don't ask me how, but I'm told it's easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I think it's a bad idea.

What if the tenant has a friend come to stay, or gets sick and home-care workers need to be given a key? What if you want to give a key to a (trusted obviously) tradesperson, but don't want to give them the only copy. What is the tenant is going on holiday and wants to leave a key with a friend who'll come in once a week to water plants. Etc.

AFAIK, you can change the keys to a lock without changing the lock itself. Don't ask me how, but I'm told it's easy enough.

A lock comprises of a few parts, the part where the key is entered into is called the barrell and this can be changed (depending on a few factors). The key system the OP mentions is called a security key system which is widely used in apartments complexes.
    I know of many people that have this system for their own property, all you have to do is provide authorisation to the locksmiths t cut additional keys for whoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Like OP you arent factoring into the fact a tenant can keep a key. Yes it's difficult for them to cut a key. But what good is that when the key is kept by a tenant. It will cost a small fortune to constantly change an expensive lock.

I know of a group of about 100 houses in Dublin that put a lock on their lane ways. One of the tenants of the housse accidentally got the key for the gate. They were using the lane after they moved out and refused to give back the key. The locks had to be changed and keys for everyone had to be cut. It cost a pretty penny

Advertisement