Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cops Confiscating Cars.

Options
  • 10-01-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭

Can a cop wave a badge in your face and grab your car?
    They always seem very cooperative in the movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Commandeering rather than confiscating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Fooked if I let anyone take my wheels, badge or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That's an American thing more so.

I think if a Garda came up to someone over here they'd be told to fúck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Commandeering rather than confiscating

A ha . Couldn't think of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I was a soldier a long time ago.

We were with Gardai doing a checkpoint and someone ran it. Gardai jumped into their creaking cortina, we jumped into our creaking landrover and took off after it. I should mention we'd been working mad hours and completely knackered. Anyway, we caught car and lad was uninsured and had panicked and the Gardai dealt with it. We were heading back to barracks. Lad in back of landrover says there is car flashing lights behind us. Cue creaking renault 4 post van pulling up beside us. In the passenger seat we a private soldier whom we had left behind at the check point and no one had missed until then. He had stepped out in front of the post van and in best hollywood tradition had demanded that the postman " follow - eh, ... that lot "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

^^^^ wouldn't of had that problem if yas had the old landcruiser :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

kneemos wrote: »
    Can a cop wave a badge in your face and grab your car?
    They always seem very cooperative in the movies.

In the States they have the doctrine of posse comitatus (not pussy coming at us!!) - like the old common law doctrine of 'hue and cry' - it allows law enforcement or an officer of the law to conscript able-bodied men to assist in keeping the peace or to pursue and arrest a felon.

So, yes, they can hop into the vehicle and identify themselves as an officer in pursuit of suspect (I think it has to be a felon) and commandeer your car in those states that have not specifically revoked or overwritten the concept.

Officer in pursuit of breakfast roll wouldn't cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

One of the lads had his car taken off him one night on the quays for no tax. The new disk was at home on the kitchen table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I notice that some private coaches were being used by French police to evacuate that town and schools. As the situation happened so fast I imagine a few cops just walked into the local bus depot and said "we need all your coaches and we're taking them". Obvious emergency.

When invasion plans were drawn up by the Defence Forces in 1969 to cross over into the North (had Lynch given the okay), part of the plan was to take a few CIE buses to transport troops, equipment and the injured.

So I think in emergency situations cops can take whatever they need within reason, and make use of private lands. I imagine they could also force certain people (civilians manning essential services jobs) to remain at their posts if there was a requirement.

Stepping out in front of someones car and taking it for a pursuit would really want a good excuse. For starters, it'd have no lights or siren. Plus it's putting any damage on AGS. So maybe if a kidnapping took place and pursuit was definitely required and there were no other units and for some reason the Gardas car was on fire.

I also know that the Army and Air Corps can seize any private airstrip they need for an operation. And they inspect all airfields in the country no matter how small and keep a database of their facilities, usage capabilities etc... You never know.

No idea of the actual laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

One of the lads had his car taken off him one night on the quays for no tax. The new disk was at home on the kitchen table.

Was he also drunk or something?

I thought they gave you a month to show your new tax disk at a Garda station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Happened to me once in Shepherds Bush. A copper flagged me down and said "I wanna get in front of that bloke."

So he hopped in and I dropped him 200 yards up the road.

Whether he's allowed to, who knows? Probably not with insurance, public liability, health and safety - blah, blah.

This was around 77/78, my first car. Most of my stops (which were frequent) were for document checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That's an American thing more so.

I think if a Garda came up to someone over here they'd be told to fúck off!

Advertisement