Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new Louth brewery.

Options
  • 10-01-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭

Saw mention of this just now; it's impossible to keep tabs on the amount of new beers that are either just coming out or about to launch onto the market. At this stage there can't be too many counties in Ireland that don't have a brewery.

http://talkofthetown.ie/tag/great-northern-brewery/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

72 breweries active in the country, westmeath and leitrim I think are the only two without a brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

oblivious wrote: »
    72 breweries active in the country, westmeath and leitrim I think are the only two without a brewery

Carrig are in Drumshanbo in Leitrim

ah okay keep forgetting there there!! maybe it was cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just for pig iron and within the 26 counties this is one brewery per county based on the little that I know.
    1. Carlow; O'Hara's.
    2. Cork; Franciscan Well.
    3. Donegal; Kinnegar.
    4. Dublin; Five Lamps.
    5. Mayo; Mescan.
    6. Leitrim; Carrig.
    7. Monaghan; Brehon.
    8. Waterford; Dungarvan;
    9. Kildare; Trouble Brewing.
    10. Kerry; West Kerry.
    11. Galway; Independent Brewing.
    12. Longford; St. Mels.
    13. Louth; Jack Cody.
    14. Meath; Brú.
    15. Sligo; White Hag.
    16. Roscommon; Black Donkey.
    17. Offaly; Bo Bristle.
    18. Clare; Burren Brewery.
    19. Wexford; Doyle's
    20. Wicklow; Wicklow Wolf.
    21. Tipperary; White Gypsy.
    22. Limerick; Limerick Lady. I've not seen it yet and I believe it's brewed under licence.

From my list it appears that Cavan, Westmeath, Laois and Kilkenny currently have no brewery's to speak of. Doubtless some of the Beoir lads will know better than I and I'd happily welcome their input here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Laois, 12 Acres are putting one in, but currently under contract @ 9 White Deer
    Kilkenny, have Costellos but i believe thats brewed under contract @ Trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

sofireland wrote: »
    Kilkenny, have Costellos but i believe thats brewed under contract @ Trouble.

I really enjoyed this at the RDS over the summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Out of interest anyone know how much it costs to set up a micro brewery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Out of interest anyone know how much it costs to set up a micro brewery?

5 figure sum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

That is not too bad actually, read you can get one installed for around 50k.
    Is there much profit i wonder or is it more for the love of doing it and a lifestyle choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'd say the CapEx in the first year or two is huge, and there are so many new Irish beers appearing on the market lately that is must be nigh on impossible to build up any kind of repeat business or loyal following, outside of your own friends, family and local area.

Now, for lads in rural Ireland, supplying a dozen or so pubs probably isn't an issue, if the buy-in is there from the locals and publicans, but it's not as easy to do in Dublin I'd imagine.

Also, I just don't understand the market properly if I decry every new Irish brewery coming to market with an Irish Red Ale - the most boring of styles, with little to no differentiation from one brewer to the next. They all taste the same, with maybe a comment like "this is slightly more hoppy, but meh".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

oblivious wrote: »
    Who's in Cavan??

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

dregin wrote: »
    Who's in Cavan??

None afaik, Cavan and W'meath await!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

but it's not as easy to do in Dublin I'd imagine.

Yet most seem to rely on certain Dublin pubs to shift stock. Someone said to me recently there is little room left on the bars for new taps and even less on the shelves in the offies for new bottles.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Yet most seem to rely on certain Dublin pubs to shift stock. Someone said to me recently there is little room left on the bars for new taps and even less on the shelves in the offies for new bottles.

Possibly the phase is for those to open there own pubs or even as a COOP among like mined breweries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭Ryath

n97 mini wrote: »

There's loads of room in bars for new taps most would have extra Guinness and Heineken taps that are rarely or never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

It is great to see so many people getting into the industry and having choice is always a win for the consumer. I do think though that many will suffer from such a conservative approach of producing Pale Ale, Red Ale and a Stout as it will be very tough to stand out from the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭squonk

Aside from Independant in Galway, there's also Galway Bay Brewery and Galway Hooker.

I haven't heard of a large amunt of the list above let alone sampled theie wares but are we starting to get to a saturation point for micro brewerys here? Doubtless the tax incentives fromt he last budget will incentivise a lot of people to get into the area but surely then the market becomes limited since you might do OK in your own county, finding bar space beyone the county border could be tough, and get tougher.

More local craft beer is always welcome but it's hard to keep up with the new entrants when the early adopters like Porterhouse, GBB, Dungarvan and Trouble are so well established now.

squonk wrote: »
    More local craft beer is always welcome but it's hard to keep up with the new entrants when the early adopters like Porterhouse, GBB, Dungarvan and Trouble are so well established now.

Galway Hooker is the original of the new wave microbreweries (2006) and i bet they would argue its till a fight for space and punters :P

Porterhouse 1996 as a brewery

I haven't heard of a large amunt of the list above let alone sampled theie wares but are we starting to get to a saturation point for micro brewerys here?

Irish Craft beers and cider represent less than 1% of the alcohol market in Ireland; there's a long long way go before anything close to saturation point is reached, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Irish Craft beers and cider represent less than 1% of the alcohol market in Ireland; there's a long long way go before anything close to saturation point is reached, if ever.

Doesn't it depend on how much the craft share of the overall market grows to?
    If it stagnates then I woukdn't like to beca new entrant.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭squonk

I think there's a very sizeable percentage of the population out there who only kake it out occasionally for the odd beer and will just want the old reliables in that case. I couldn't blame them. I'm out far more often and also have a taste for many different beers. I'd imagine the craft market will be a slowly growing one. I'll be a craft guy for life so I'll expect it in my old man pubs once I'm an old man. For now though I'd imagine it'll more the 20-40 year old segment who are getting the exposure to craft. I'd say the younger people are the more they'll be inclined to drink craft and the more prevalent the beers will become which will have a knock on effect on those coming behind.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps we're reaching a saturation point now where the number of brewers is outstripping the inherent supply of drinkers? In 3-5 years time 72 might be not enough to service the size of the market by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Don't forget Carlow and White Gypsy. Two of the very first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I think there's a very sizeable percentage of the population out there who only kake it out occasionally for the odd beer and will just want the old reliables in that case. I couldn't blame them. I'm out far more often and also have a taste for many different beers. I'd imagine the craft market will be a slowly growing one. I'll be a craft guy for life so I'll expect it in my old man pubs once I'm an old man. For now though I'd imagine it'll more the 20-40 year old segment who are getting the exposure to craft. I'd say the younger people are the more they'll be inclined to drink craft and the more prevalent the beers will become which will have a knock on effect on those coming behind.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps we're reaching a saturation point now where the number of brewers is outstripping the inherent supply of drinkers? In 3-5 years time 72 might be not enough to service the size of the market by then.

Sorry but this makes no sense whatsoever. You've been informed that Craft accounts for 1% of the Irish beer market yet you think we've reached saturation point? There will undoubtedly be casualties as breweries that aren't producing what the punters want and have poor business plans will go to the wall, but so far I can't think of any breweries that have gone bust.

I'd further say that craft is perhaps more prevalent in the over 30 market, maybe that's skewed by the pubs I drink in and the off-licences I buy from.

Advertisement