Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from abroad...

Options
  • 10-01-2015 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I've just arrived back from almost 4 years abroad (working/travel). I'm hoping to find work so I can stay here and I'm living with my parents at the moment.

I was trying to get some information on whether I'm entitled to job seekers allowance. I came across a page on welfare.ie

Assessment of means for Jobseeker's Allowance (JA)

Where a person returns to the parental home having had an independent life-style elsewhere in Ireland or abroad for an appreciable length of time e.g. at least 3 years, the assessment in this case is €7.00 per week.

€7.00 per week??? Seriously??

Has/Is anyone else in this position? Am I missing something or am I really just entitled to 7 quid a week....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Assessment means that's the amount they would deduct from your personal rate of payment so if you were in the age bracket for 100 a week they would deduct 7 leaving you with 93.

It also only applies to those under 25 (26? Not up to date with latest changes there) so if that's not you then no worries.

What you will have to do is satisfy the habitual residence condition. That means you have to prove, to the best of your ability, that you are intending to stay here for the foreseeable future. So if you had bank accounts abroad show they are closed. If you had an apartment show the lease is over, if you had a job provide evidence it has ceased and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gdawg87

Assessment means that's the amount they would deduct from your personal rate of payment so if you were in the age bracket for 100 a week they would deduct 7 leaving you with 93.

It also only applies to those under 25 (26? Not up to date with latest changes there) so if that's not you then no worries.

What you will have to do is satisfy the habitual residence condition. That means you have to prove, to the best of your ability, that you are intending to stay here for the foreseeable future. So if you had bank accounts abroad show they are closed. If you had an apartment show the lease is over, if you had a job provide evidence it has ceased and so on.

Great info! Thanks!! :)

Advertisement