Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

celebrating birthday

Options
  • 10-01-2015 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭

Do you celebrate your birthday?

I hate to do anything for my birthday. It's just a number

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's the usual thing with me: Family, presents and cake. Nice and simple with no fuss made. I wouldn't tend to go out on a mad one with mates, but my 21st was certainly the only birthday I recall being out for drinks for. My 30th is just under two years away, but at the moment, I don't plan on celebrating it greatly. It's certainly nice to just have a family meal, whether it be at home or in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I let the family get a cake for me (which I rarely taste) and let them sing the birthday song, but I'd be happy enough to avoid it. Nothing to do with age, just the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

My birthday and New Year's Eve have no personal significance.

I celebrate birthdays and New Year's Eve for the sake of those around me. I'd be perfectly happy ignoring them if it were my decision alone.

I suspect many of us are the same, and we're all celebrating these events because we wrongly assume everybody else wishes to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I like cake so yes I do celebrate it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Think OPs birthday is coming up!
    I'll have your cake if you don't want it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

I don't mind the cake other than that I don't really like

sammyjo90 wrote: »

Only have sponge cake. Don't like chocolate cake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Last year most of my close friends forgot, despite the fact it was on Facebook and I was had a get together planned for the following Saturday (it was my 30th).

So this year, I'm pretending it's not happening. I took it off facebook so people i haven't seen since school won't wish me a happy birthday, I deliberately haven't planned anything with friends and I will be away on holidays for the day itself. I'll go out for dinner on the day with my family and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

cena wrote: »

Sure, why not.

The older I get the less seriously I take it and, paradoxically, the more I go with the flow and just be grateful to spend it with my family.

It's nice to be the centre of attention for a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I hate to do anything for my birthday. It's just a number
    I don't mind the cake other than that I don't really like

Don't worry. Once you hit 16, it gets a bit better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I never really used to, but in recent years we've gone for a meal (nothing fancy; it was Milano last time) and a drink in the pub.

We rarely eat out or go to the pub, so it is a nice occasion to do so.

I get presents from my OH and family, and cake and all in all, it is nice to have a day where people I love do nice things.

But in reality, I really don't like getting older :(

anncoates wrote: »
    Don't worry. Once you hit 16, it gets a bit better

Way pass that age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Usually don't but last years I wound up spending the whole day going from one pub to another, meeting a different friend each time with each of them buying me a pint and having a nice one-on-one chat. Was probably the most pleasant day of the whole year!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I told the judge age was just a number, but I was still put on the register.

I celebrate it more now, was always during the holidays so know one was around.
    I still use that to guilt trip them

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Happy birthday OP!

*ruffles OP's hair*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Can we give him the bumps?

The last birthday of mine that I celebrated was my 20th...13 years ago.

I hate attention so avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nah it's just another day. Also think it's a bit weird and narcissistic when people make a big deal out of their birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My kids' birthdays - yes of course.

Mine and my wife's - not so much. Have a nicer breakfast than usual, and we buy sponges and cream and chocolates/fruit for the kids to make a cake for us, along with some cheap presents (the last present my son got for me was a toy gun). Just a normal day after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It really is my birthday though! On the 10th. So now it is. 26. Not very exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Lia_lia wrote: »
    It really is my birthday though! On the 10th. So now it is. 26. Not very exciting.

Happy birthday!

Lia_lia wrote: »

Happy birthday

biko wrote: »
    Happy birthday OP!

*ruffles OP's hair*

Not my birthday till Sunday but thanks.

Not my birthday till Sunday but thanks.
    sammyjo90 wrote: »

Ahhh so i was right :D happy birthday you two

I've won the internet now, so im going to leave it at that!

The night of my 18th birthday was spent in a chemistry lab - suffice to say, there was no wild drinking.
    I got dumped the night before my 21st birthday (which is meant to be a big deal as birthdays go); I confided this to my next bf......who promptly dumped me less than a week before my 22nd birthday! In fact I have never been in a relationship on my birthday, 25 of which I've had thus far.
    My 24th birthday should have been the day I graduated with my Masters....except due to extenuating circumstances (i.e. me being mentally ill and incompetent) I didn't graduate that day and would have to wait another seven months.

The moral of the story: anytime I ever plan something (or even hope for something) good to happen on my birthday, it doesn't work out.

So no, I don't celebrate my birthday. Too much crap has happened for me to feign enthusiasm for it anymore. :(
    I guess there's the possibility my 26th will kick ass but I'm not holding out hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I think every year that I make it through and am still alive is worth celebrating. I took several friends out for dinner, drinks and nightclub for my 18th, didn't have a 21st as was waiting for my first baby to be born, had a good 30th in a local pub and had a 70's themed big party in a pub for my 40th.

For the non "big" birthdays it usually is low key, maybe go for a meal with my close friends and a few drinks or stay home with family but my last birthday (41st) I had an amazing day. I was in my favourite city - San Francisco. I started the day with lovely Latkas in a Jewish Deli for brunch, went on the Duck Tour and got to drive the duck near AT&T park (as did a fellow passenger who was celebrating her 74th birthday!) before indulging in the best ice cream in the world - Smitten Ice Cream followed by some lovely Belgian and German beers in a cool German pub and then a bit of a pub crawl down Polk Street.

Life is short, celebrate as many things as you can. Well that's my attitude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Couldn't give less of a fuk, hate when people make big deals about their birthdays after 21st unless it's a 30th, 40th, 50th and so on. Just comes across as real needy and desperate for attention over a trivial number

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Just another lap of the calendar in my eye's, the odd 'decade' milestone. Now if ya talked seasons, that would be a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Why bother unless you are under 10?

I was 40 last year. Got up (friday), went to work, kept it quiet, came home and went out for a bite of grub with the missus. Actaully enjoyed the saturday night more when I went to tgi fridays with the kids as family night out.

Herself went overboard for hers a few weeks later. Out for a fancy meal with friends. Stay in the shelbourne with me and out for a fancy meal. Out again for a huge family meal with sister, brothers and kids and her parents.
    To be honest she'd go out to the opening of an envelope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement