Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emerald International (Jessbrook) going on the market!

Options
  • 10-01-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

You heard it here first!

'Emerald International has cancelled all 2015 shows & will go on the market'- read it on http://www.theirishfield.ie at 9.30pm or in shops Saturday - From @TheIrishFieldHW - Irish Field Horse World.

Big shock there, considering the amount of money pumped into it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

God I don't believe it. Why ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Without knowing the details and giving the short time of ownership, I'm going to guess James Buckley bit off more than he could chew with it. I mean managing a yard that size is difficult enough. Plus, how many international equestrian centres are there in Kildare alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

sup_dude wrote: »
    Without knowing the details and giving the short time of ownership, I'm going to guess James Buckley bit off more than he could chew with it. I mean managing a yard that size is difficult enough. Plus, how many international equestrian centres are there in Kildare alone?

Ok right I was thinking along other lines of past history etc.......

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

the article in the Irish field states back problems as the cause of the sale, That James Buckley can't make the commitments to it, as previously though!

sounds fishy!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Plus, how many international equestrian centres are there in Kildare alone?

Of that standard, probably not many. Weren't they hoping to aim it at hosting a World Cup qualifier in the future? It seemed ideal to bring more high level FEI classes to Ireland and I'll be disappointed if it's lost from equestrian use, which sadly looks likely.

The "back issues" speculation is odd though.

• Advertisement

Joey. wrote: »
    Of that standard, probably not many. Weren't they hoping to aim it at hosting a World Cup qualifier in the future? It seemed ideal to bring more high level FEI classes to Ireland and I'll be disappointed if it's lost from equestrian use, which sadly looks likely.

The "back issues" speculation is odd though.

There's four in Kildare that I can think of off the top of my head. Kil Equestrian, Coilogs, Kildare Equestrian and then Emerald. Monart isn't that far either. That's a fair bit of competition for international centres, if marketed as international centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

There's four in Kildare that I can think of off the top of my head. Kil Equestrian, Coilogs, Kildare Equestrian and then Emerald. Monart isn't that far either. That's a fair bit of competition for international centres, if marketed as international centres.

They don't operate as international show centres though. There were 10 shows listed on the FEI calendar for 2015, of these 3 were to be in Emerald and one of which was to be a 3* show.

Enfield IRL 24/03/2015 29/03/2015 CSI2*, CSI2*
    Millstreet IRL 04/04/2015 06/04/2015 CSI1*
    Millstreet IRL 10/04/2015 12/04/2015 CSI1*
    Balmoral IRL 13/05/2015 15/05/2015 CSI2*
    Mullingar IRL 30/05/2015 01/06/2015 CSI2*
    Enfield IRL 02/06/2015 07/06/2015 CSI3*, CSI3*
    Dublin IRL 05/08/2015 09/08/2015 CSIO5*-NC EUD1, CSIYH1*
    Millstreet IRL 13/08/2015 16/08/2015 CSI3*
    Cavan IRL 06/11/2015 08/11/2015 CSI1*
    Enfield IRL 10/11/2015 15/11/2015 CSI2*, CSI2*

By putting International in a name, does not make it an international venue. In Ireland the only true international showjumping venues are Millstreet, Cavan, The RDS, Balmoral, Mullingar host one aswell. Kill is pretty much defunct due an insurance thing, Kildare is really only international by name, and well coilog, while it is a good venue is not really up to hosting a proper international show. Emerald had all the requisites, to be up there hosting CSI shows.

Joey. wrote: »
    They don't operate as international show centres though. There were 10 shows listed on the FEI calendar for 2015, of these 3 were to be in Emerald and one of which was to be a 3* show.

I was speaking in terms of competition though
    mothoin wrote: »
    By putting International in a name, does not make it an international venue. In Ireland the only true international showjumping venues are Millstreet, Cavan, The RDS, Balmoral, Mullingar host one aswell. Kill is pretty much defunct due an insurance thing, Kildare is really only international by name, and well coilog, while it is a good venue is not really up to hosting a proper international show. Emerald had all the requisites, to be up there hosting CSI shows.

They're all international standard though, whether they're used as one or not and therefore competition.

I was speaking in terms of competition though

They're all international standard though, whether they're used as one or not and therefore competition.

How are they competition if not used?

• Advertisement

How are they competition if not used?

Because they very easily can be.

It doesn't matter any way, I wrote that post before the Field article came out and it was purely speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Because they very easily can be.

It doesn't matter any way, I wrote that post before the Field article came out and it was purely speculation.

Not so..they have to get approval from the FEI for such and then funding to run an international event of any kind, if they are deemed suitable that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jonesa1

Didn't last long. I heard people had a few issues at the big show in November. Also they had a backer that was allowing them to build all the arenas etc so maybe they pulled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Emerald had all the requisites, to be up there hosting CSI shows.

Apparent from a road infrastructure to get to it!! Its in the middle of nowhere with awful roads to it. I cannot imagine the International SJ community being very impressed driving their very expensive & large horse lorries down a road with grass in the middle to get to an International show!!

There would be chaos if boxes meet on the road coming in & out. I think there is alot more to a show venue than the venue itself - there is NO amenities in the vicinity either, no exactly ideal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

color_girl wrote: »
    Apparent from a road infrastructure to get to it!! Its in the middle of nowhere with awful roads to it. I cannot imagine the International SJ community being very impressed driving their very expensive & large horse lorries down a road with grass in the middle to get to an International show!!

There would be chaos if boxes meet on the road coming in & out. I think there is alot more to a show venue than the venue itself - there is NO amenities in the vicinity either, no exactly ideal.

A huge number of roads to equestrian centres are like that. Our route to Kill International was via lots of small, twisty and pot-holed country roads. And, in fairness, most equestrian centres are also in the middle of nowhere. I've been to a large number where there are no nearby amenities. The RDS is one of the few venues that has such great amenities on its doorstep, which is due to the fact that it's located in a city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bmh c

color_girl wrote: »

Have you even been to Emerald International, i didn't see any grass on any roads, and it has a 4* hotel only 4km away and also it is only 6km of the M4 and 14km of the N7, and is only 20 mins from the city and 30 mins form the Airport and ferry, the Venue and infrastructure were obviously good enough for the FEI as they wanted to hold a world cup there in 2016.Dont think it gets much better than that.

bmh c wrote: »
    Have you even been to Emerald International, i didn't see any grass on any roads, and it has a 4* hotel only 4km away and also it is only 6km of the M4 and 14km of the N7, and is only 20 mins from the city and 30 mins form the Airport and ferry, the Venue and infrastructure were obviously good enough for the FEI as they wanted to hold a world cup there in 2016.Dont think it gets much better than that.

well its all irrelevant now anyway, as if the rumours are to be believed it will not be kept for equestrian use! But sure we will just have to wait and see!

Advertisement