Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All 4 one voucher issue

Options
  • 09-01-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone had come across this before....basically i bought a nice watch during the week from a well known spot who take all 4 one vouchers. I "negotiated" a pretty standard 10% discount off the retail price but when i went to pay and asked if they took all 4 ones, they said they dont take them on discounted purchases!was a bit surprised but went ahead with the purchase anyway as i wanted the watch which wasnt stocked anywhere else so they kind of had me over a barrel. I later went to a rival retailer and asked if they took them after a standard 10% discount and they said no problem. Has this ever happened before to anyone? Anyone able to shed any light? Seems a bit odd that they can pick and choose when they accept when they are clearly on the list of retailers. Its not a big deal to me as theyll get spent but was a bit annoyed by it out of principal more so than anything else.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's wasn't great customer service, but yes, the retailer can choose to accept/not accept a particular form of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd that they can pick and choose when they accept when they are clearly on the list of retailers.

They're taking a hit taking your voucher, so it's not like you're handing them cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's a cost to them in taking the vouchers. And where are you coming up with a "standard" 10% discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

There's a cost to them in taking the vouchers. And where are you coming up with a "standard" 10% discount?

I would also like to know what shop this is the standard. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

dobsdave wrote: »
    I would also like to know what shop this is the standard. :-)

If you go into any well known jewellery shop this time of year and ask for a discount on any of the mainstream brands like seiko,citizen,tissot etc,they will offer 10% without haggling....thats as close to standard as you can get in my book....if you don't ask you don't get.....if you look at my original post I put the standard in inverted comments..that was intenentional to demonstrate that it's a suggested standard rather than fact...

• Advertisement

If you go into any well known jewellery shop this time of year and ask for a discount on any of the mainstream brands like seiko,citizen,tissot etc,they will offer 10% without haggling....thats as close to standard as you can get in my book....if you don't ask you don't get.....if you look at my original post I put the standard in inverted comments..that was intenentional to demonstrate that it's a suggested standard rather than fact...

Sorry negotiated was in inverted comments but my point is the same as in I didn't have to work for the discount which suggests that it's pretty standard for them...

They're taking a hit taking your voucher, so it's not like you're handing them cash.

I take your point but why put yourself forward as a retailer who accepts them in the first place.didnt bother the other chain retailer so why did it bother this one.also,I would assume that retailers sign up to this to get the business over other retailers who don't accept them bearing in mind how popular they are as gifts so they're willing to take the hit to get the business in the 1st place.

Like I said before,didn't bother me that much as they will be spent eventually.if it did I could have maybe just asked for the discount on the cash balance after voucher amount was deducted from full retail price. I was just curious to see if anyone else had come across this before.

Commission can be up to 10% on those vouchers. So not going to give away 20% of the sale.

Commission can be up to 10% on those vouchers. So not going to give away 20% of the sale.

The voucher was only covering about 20% of the watch cost.but unless the other retailer was telling me porkies then I would have happily gone to the retailer who takes the voucher and also offers the same "standard" discount expect they don't stock the watch. If they did,they would have lost the sale because of their voucher policy. But again I stress, the other retailer may not have given itand may have been just telling me what I want to hear.I might have the opportunity to test them though when I buy the other half a watch too shortly.....I should also reinforce that this isn't really a venting issue more of a peculiarity as I've used all for ones for years and near came across it but maybe it's unique to jewellers...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

There's no rules / standards in place for whether a shop has to take the vouchers when the customer is receiving a discount. Neither shop was lieing they just had different opinions on whether it as worth it or not.

You negotiated a discount with one retailer who also didn't want to take One for All vouchers when they're already cutting you a deal as they are already making less on the item than they should be (whether you consider that sort of deal to be standard or not isn't important) and another had no problem.

Most standard retailers have sales on the big brands at the moment anyway?

• Advertisement

I too have used them for years without any issues but I have still to come across this "standard" 10% discount in jewellers. They often drop a few euro on the price without my asking but there is no standard discount.

I too have used them for years without any issues but I have still to come across this "standard" 10% discount in jewellers. They often drop a few euro on the price without my asking but there is no standard discount.

Let's not get bogged down by the term standard.the reality is if you ask for a discount they offer it without haggling.call it what you want after that.I would guess that it might depend on the time of year.for example I asked about the watch in a cold call before Christmas in the same retailer and got the equivalent of maybe 8% without pushing.I'd imagine if I'd indicated there and then that I'd take it with a bit more off,I might have got the full 10% they had no problem offering immediately after Christmas. Just to clarify with a previous poster,where I got the watch don't officially do sales per say,you will never see a bit sale sign in their window.I assume it damages the exclusivity.

Also just on the point regarding the retailers right to accept them or not,surely that damages the all 4 one brand?I'm not sure I'd be keen on giving them to someone if I wasn't sure they were accepted in the location stated.at the very least it should be quite clearly stated that they are only accepted on full retail prices or something....maybe it's in the small print somewhere...must check actually....god I'm sounding.like I actually care! But to be fair,if I'd known they wouldn't have taken them,I would have asked specifically for the cash instead even though the givers prefer vouchers as they have to be spent on something tangiable rather than getting spent on night outs!

I'm not sure I'd be keen on giving them to someone if I wasn't sure they were accepted in the location stated.at the very least it should be quite clearly stated that they are only accepted on full retail prices or something....maybe it's in the small print somewhere...must check actually....god I'm sounding.like I actually care!

Assuming you're not going to pay retail price is the problem there.

Assuming you're not going to pay retail price is the problem there.

Well yes obviously but I remind that I am talking specifically about a high class jewellery store here so I would argue (for want of a better expression) that most people would ask for their best price as code for can you take a bit off that chief.if you're happy to pay the full price yourself in front of you for most items they sell then all power to you. If you accept that they will offer a discount on most of their stock and most people will ask for it in the 1st place and that it's almost expected by them for the average Joe soap then it very much restricts your ability to use the voucher there.so why bother being on the list in the 1st place?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

But you don't ask for a discount and then pay for vouchers (IMO). They were rejecting the vouchers because they offered you a discount and they didn't want to take further hit on the sale(as they don't get the full price of the voucher from One for All.

I think your the exception rather than the rule with this "standard" discount so the shop are doing you a favour since they imagine your going to pay cash which is a preferable option for them as there is absolutely no loss on the sale (i.e. the bank don't take a cut by you using a card and one for all don't take a cut by you using the voucher.)

It seems fair, report the shop to one for all if you want as that would be the only option for a resolution if you desperately want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

I get them through work bought house hold applicances etc with haggling discount.but bought off some jewellery in a high street and again discount on jewellery when I mentioned all4one ud lose discount because they charged 12.5% from the cards.so a bit put out.another story to local rent a DVD store advise the one4all yet they weren't able to process the card.i ended up out if pocket for entire week. Because they screwed up I ran one 4 all nothing they could do.pity u couldn't pay household bills v v handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just tried to get the standard discount off Amazon. No luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

With exception of the big name retailers, one4all will charge the retail store 12.3% of the net selling price. If they are paper vouchers the cost us higher and it could be weeks before the store gets paid.

Discount + one4all = rare unless the shop has huge profit margins.

Guys,really it didn't bother me that much....they'll get used,trust me.....I just thought I'd rais the issue to see had any one else experienced this...there have been valid reasons given as to.why they didn't take them and thats fair enough....I just wonder why they bothered signing up to the scheme in the first place and how their competitor can offer discount and accept the voucher with any problem.

And can people please move on from the standard discount reference.I already explained the context!

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Just tried to get the standard discount off Amazon. No luck.

You're not doing it right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

.I just wonder why they bothered signing up to the scheme in the first place and how their competitor can offer discount and accept the voucher with any problem.!

Many independent retail stores have moved away from One4all due to their high commission costs and the fact that they treat the larger retailer way way way better than the smaller ones. (no retailer would have an issue with a 3% or even 4% difference, but some large retailers pay 2.5% - totally unfair)

As for why one would take it and another would not - one store could have been a large retailer and can take the hit on a few transactions, whereas the other could be smaller and just isn't willing to sell at near zero profit.

And can people please move on from the standard discount reference.I already explained the context!
    But it's the discount, in association with the vouchers, that is the whole crux of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jonosam

dudara wrote: »
    It's wasn't great customer service, but yes, the retailer can choose to accept/not accept a particular form of payment.

Thats not the case, they are meant to accept it on all items. It shouldn't matter if its on sale or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

they will accept them on sale items, you negotiated a price, thats not a sale item. I used to work for a large company that dealt with one4all, if a customer was looking for a discount we were told to say we can work on a cash discount, and keep enforcing the cash element. If the customer whipped out one4all's or asked for finance then we'd refuse

Advertisement