Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Arrears, Am I Liable?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, quick question regarding motor tax arrears, has probably been answered a million times before but here it goes.

I bought a second hand car on 20th December last. The tax had expired at the end of November.

I went online to tax it tonight and it says I am liable for arrears for the December period. I only received the logbook yesterday so haven't driven it at all in December, and technically didn't own it until January!

The seller told me he had declared it off the road when his tax expired.

Is there any way to get around this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

No. You bought it in December and you are liable for motor Tax for December.

....and you 'technically' own it since Dec 12th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Hi folks, quick question regarding motor tax arrears, has probably been answered a million times before but here it goes.

I bought a second hand car on 20th December last. The tax had expired at the end of November.

I went online to tax it tonight and it says I am liable for arrears for the December period. I only received the logbook yesterday so haven't driven it at all in December, and technically didn't own it until January!

The seller told me he had declared it off the road when his tax expired.

Is there any way to get around this? Thanks.

You are liable for any arrears from 1st December onwards.
    You owned it from the moment you signed for it. With the Xmas period I would have expected a slight delay in the posting of the VLC but you could have also logged in online and taxes it as soon as Shannon processed it and even before you got the VLC.

In hindsight, the smart thin would have been to do the change of ownership on the 1st January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kceire wrote: »
    You are liable for any arrears from 1st December onwards.

In hindsight, the smart thin would have been to do the change of ownership on the 1st January.

could be worse I bought my last car on May 31st and got stung for the previous months arrears (may) - gutted to say the least when i realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Thanks guys! I was actually thinking about putting the date of sale as January 1st as I was holding the pen above the form, but then I just left it as I wasn't aware of the procedure.

Oh well, there's 38 quid down the drain.
    could be worse I bought my last car on May 31st and got stung for the previous months arrears (may) - gutted to say the least when i realised.

Ouch! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read the FAQ folks. The first topic is tax.
    Colm made it for just this purpose

• Advertisement
Advertisement