Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd learner permit question

Options
  • 09-01-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

I never got around to applying for a driving test when I had my first two permits, and according to the RSA website I needed to have a driving test attempted before applying for No. 3.

For the last couple of years I've been at college and haven't needed a car so it just totally slipped my mind

Am I now unable to obtain a licence for the rest of my living days or is there another way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

No you're fine as far as I know, i just applied for my 5th one and once you are within 5 years of expiry of your last one you are fine. If over 5 years you are back to square one & have to do your theory test etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I never got around to applying for a driving test when I had my first two permits, and according to the RSA website I needed to have a driving test attempted before applying for No. 3.

For the last couple of years I've been at college and haven't needed a car so it just totally slipped my mind

Am I now unable to obtain a licence for the rest of my living days or is there another way around this?

To get you third learner permit, you just have to apply to do the driving test. You don't have to actually sit it, you just have to apply for it. When you apply for the test, you'll be given a confirmation number. You then quote that number when you apply for your learner permit. You can either sit the test, if you feel up to doing so, or you can defer it 'till a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

ProudDUB wrote: »
    To get you third learner permit, you just have to apply to do the driving test. You don't have to actually sit it, you just have to apply for it. When you apply for the test, you'll be given a confirmation number. You then quote that number when you apply for your learner permit. You can either sit the test, if you feel up to doing so, or you can defer it 'till a later date.

Don't you need a current prov. licence to be eligible for the driving test though? Mine has expired

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't you need a current prov. licence to be eligible for the driving test though? Mine has expired

No, you do not need to have a current learner permit/provisional license to apply for the driving test. You have to have one to do the actual test, but you don't have to have one just to apply for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Apply for test.
    This allows you to apply for learner permit.
    Get learner permit.
    Take test, or don't. Once you have the permit, you don't actually have to take the test, but you loose out on the fee.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It's very expensive not to have a license. You do need to apply and pay for tests to keep your learner permit, technically you don't need do the test but you do need proof of application and payment. Also your insurance as an unlicensed driver will be very high and is payable every year.

Just pass your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Once you have the test booked you can get a new permit for the year. You can defer the date of the test 2 or 3 times before losing your money.

Is there a limit to how many permits you can get in this manner? I'll be getting my third when I can be assed but not sure if I would pass the test within the year with only getting practice from lessons.

Advertisement