Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Web Development. Where to start?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a new online business that was built for me by a web developer. The website is based on the CMS - Prestashop.

The guy who built is was great, but its frustrating having to constantly ask him to do small changes that lie outside of the Prestashop functionality.

I see myself getting more immersed in the online business sector and for that reason would like to be able to make those minor adjustments myself, so that I can have the site exactly the way I want it.

I have some knowledge of html. I built a small website from scratch last year which is no longer live. But I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. More specifically what kind of coding I should learn, should I just learn one of the big CMS's like Drupal/Wordpress etc. Any online courses available? I would not be able to do a full time course due to my working arrangements.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Search Udemy.com for some courses to learn the basics - get familiar (realigned) with HTML(5), CSS(3), JavaScript, jQuery.

There are plenty free introductions to aspects of web development available on the site which should suffice in allowing you to make your own changes when you want.

It's a forever changing game but since you're looking to make changes yourself here and there I would advise you to ask your developer for the site's FTP details (you can also get a quick demo on Udemy on how to work with FTP I'd imagine (FileZilla etc))

Once you're able to access your files from a root level and understand the structure, you have control over your site and the world is your oyster so to speak.

I find Udemy.com great - you'll find plenty of resources there, many free, other for pennies.
    There's a new years special on some of the complete web developer courses for $10 which would certainly be worth the money if you only looked at it now and again.

Hope that helps somewhat, and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

Brilliant,

Thank you Vurnon San Benito for your reply, much appreciated.

On your advice, I will check out Udemy.com and start by getting realigned with HTML etc.

Thanks,
    KpsCowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Also have a look at Lynda.com. Similar content, but with much tighter quality control.

And http://www.codecademy.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Also have a look at Lynda.com. Similar content, but with much tighter quality control.

And http://www.codecademy.com/

+1

there's some awful junk on Udemy.

Advertisement