Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance with points?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

So i got 7 points on my licence since i last renewed my insurance. The insurance company knows about this. Im due to renew at the end of feb. Just wondering will i be paying through the roof. Has anyine experianced this i usually pay €400

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Im asking how much should i expect to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The whole point system is another scam where it allows insurance companies to increase premiums.

I myself have 2 points and I have 3 pending so soon to have 5 and I am sick of the way they are setting up to catch people coming down hills and hiding in all sorts of places.

Dangerous driving and that I agree should be a system in place but 5km and 10km over speed limit is absolute rubbish.

Gatso go safe vans also anothe scam making huge revenue.

Increasing points recently so use to be 2 for speeding now 3 so only have to get caught out 4 times and that's licence gone.

I am sick of it driving for a living and having this hang over you and for 3 years from getting points also is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

When I was requoted last year, I had 4 points and it was costing approximatley €60 per point i.e. €240 extra from ringing around various insurance companies.

Ask for a quote with and without the points.
    Also, check the quotes online with/without the points.

However, when I rang back my current insurers after getting a list of quotes, they cut the penalty on my penalty points to €30 per point in my renewal cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The whole point system is another scam where it allows insurance companies to increase premiums.

I myself have 2 points and I have 3 pending so soon to have 5 and I am sick of the way they are setting up to catch people coming down hills and hiding in all sorts of places.

Dangerous driving and that I agree should be a system in place but 5km and 10km over speed limit is absolute rubbish.

Increasing points recently so use to be 2 for speeding now 3 so only have to get caught out 4 times and that's licence gone.

I am sick of it driving for a living and having this hang over you and for 3 years from getting points also is a joke.

Drive within the speed limit is the only answer, after all it is a limit NOT a target

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Im sick of it too. I was caught 3 times doing 60 in a 50 km zone. Im worried ill be paying 3 times more on my insurance then last year

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Drive within the speed limit is the only answer, after all it is a limit NOT a target

I fully get what you are saying but it has gone mad.
    There are so many roads now that are 60 then down to 50 then up to 80 then on and on it goes.

They are picking points where they know you will be slightly faster coming down hills and that.

I drive on the road 7 days a week and work driving I can take paying a fine but points I do not believe in.
    Points don't work anyway as I said they are there just to get more money out of you.

There should be some leaneancy in certain cases but they must be told to do everyone they can get as to get all those €80 fines(revenue) in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

what is so difficult about driving within or even under the speed limit << note word.

the insurance company and the speed vans aren't a scam. no one but a driver chooses the speed they go at. if a person drives for a living isn't there even more need for a bit of sense.

what is so difficult about driving within or even under the speed limit << note word.

the insurance company and the speed vans aren't a scam. no one but a driver chooses the speed they go at. if a person drives for a living isn't there even more need for a bit of sense.

It is a scam just like all the taxes we have to pay.

I have been done for going 72km in 60km but if you look back at when it was miles this wouldn't have been a fine as its only few miles over.

They are real sneaky and hide in gardens also.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

They are picking points where they know you will be slightly faster coming down hills and that.

Surely you know yourself that your car will go faster down a hill and will have to apply the brakes?
    I have been done for going 72km in 60km but if you look back at when it was miles this wouldn't have been a fine as its only few miles over.

It's been 10 years since we used the imperial system. But even still, converting back, you'd still be 10% over the speed limit.

Also keep in mind, that extra 12km/h makes it more likely for someone to die in a crash or impact with a pedestrian. Remember, that you are putting others people lives at risk by breaking the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So at how many miles over the limit do you draw a line? What is the point in having speed "limits" if they are not observed? Now I'm far from perfect, I've broken speed limits myself but if I get caught I'm to blame not someone else or the system in place. If I had already a number of points on my licence I'd certainly be more conscious of the speed I'm doing.

• Advertisement

Well in my opinion the points system is a scam and is only catching out decent safe drivers.
    Yes not always but I see some shocking driving many many many times a day or night and these still get to drive around.

The other day had someone driving the wrong way down the n11 not a bother on her everyone beeping and flashing and on she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Well in my opinion the points system is a scam and is only catching out decent safe drivers.

Decent drivers know and can anticipate where a van is going to be and adjust accordingly. They can drive tactically to avoid said van depending on the road. Or they can just slow down in the zones.

If you get caught, its really your own fault. And the vans make no money. Zilch. They actually cost money. And i'm not an advocate of the vans, see my previous posts, but there is no point (Excuse the pun) referring to them as a scam. They catch those exceeding the speed limit. Unless you are in a high paid job were slowing down by 10% will cost you more than the fine plus insurance hike, then economically you arn't losing out by slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes not always but I see some shocking driving many many many times a day or night and these still get to drive around.

The other day had someone driving the wrong way down the n11 not a bother on her everyone beeping and flashing and on she goes.

You seem to be confusing penalty points for speeding with penalty points for dangerous driving. They are two different offences.

Everyone probably breaks the speed limit at some point but if you get caught doing so then there really is nobody else to blame. Speed limits are just that, a limit not a target.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You seem to be confusing penalty points for speeding with penalty points for dangerous driving. They are two different offences.

Everyone probably breaks the speed limit at some point but if you get caught doing so then there really is nobody else to blame. Speed limits are just that, a limit not a target.

Yes 2 different offences but to insurance a point is a point.

I never believed in the system and as a whole it is extremely unfair system suppose like everything in Ireland.

Seamas Brennan we can thank for fast tracking it in and Leo vdakirrrr for increasing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The miles wouldn't have made any difference. If you were caught doing 72 the speedo read a bit more than that, probably 75 or 76. You had to notice that.

I've been caught a few times, each time I knew I was doing over the limit when caught. I can accept that. You it would appear can't and want to blame it on anything bar you being in the wrong.

Sure you may as well not have bothered to get a license altogether, sure that's a scam too with training days, renewals. Sure stick in the agri diesel too while you're at it to avoid that scam too.

@OP, it depends on the company. I'm with FBD and they're not bothered unless I got over 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

punisher5112, stop posting in this thread. Your are only derailing with your scam talk.
    If you must - start a fresh thread.

This thread is about insurance premiums increase with 7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That's a new one to me tbh:D

Let's be serious. And what the miles / km's have to do with that?

OP - only the insurance company can answer your question. Friend of mine got 6 poins and no increase. You never know what is their cut-off point, though.

Advertisement