Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite scenes of 2014?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 4:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw this thread on Reddit yesterday & some of the comments were great. Thought it would be good to discuss here.

These are mine that I can think of:

Whiplash: The "Out of tune" scene was brilliant & the last 15 minutes of that film are outstanding.

Interstellar: The "Mountains". The score for this bit was genius with the
    clock ticking to simulate how fast time was moving on earth while they were on that planet.
    The 7 years of messages - Such a heartbreaking scene. The Docking scene - no explanation necessary.

Birdman: Don't want to give away too much so.
    The scene from when he is called to come down to the set for the motel entrance & he picks up the loaded .45. The tension built through out the next couple minutes is fantastic

American Sniper: The scene shown for the original trailer for the movie with the
    mother giving the child an AT Grenade
    thankfully the tension was not diluted by having seen it before in the trailer.

22 JumpStreet : When Jenko
    finds out that Schmidt has been riding the captains daughter
    . Fecking hilarious!

Fury: The Tiger tank battle

Noah: The "Creation" scene.

I'm sure there are plenty more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Guardians of the Galaxy - Prison scene. Top quality comic-book action.

The Guest - "For the damages". Funny, violent, and awfully cool.

Interstellar - Docking scene. Edge of seat stuff, not even a second watching diluted the drama.

Birdman - First rehearsal with Mike & first preview night with Mike. Ed Norton at the top of his game, and Keaton matching him.

I haven't seen Whiplash yet, but that timing scene is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A couple of spoiler-ific things in the above posts.

From what I've seen-

Nightcrawler -
    The car chase scene. Fcuking hell.

Guardians of the Galaxy -
    Groot protecting the crew and then baby Groot of course.

I'm sure I'll think of much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The random hotel shootout scene in the Grand Budapest Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

"Know your place, be a shoe!"

Tilda Swinton is ****ing amazing in this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The docking scene in Interstellar is a standout moment for me.

Loved the final battle in X-Men:DOFP. Finally an X-Men team fighting together (in the future), it was a joy to watch.

The opening credits of Guardians of the Galaxy. The cool 80s music while roaming through the ruins of a city was fantastic fun and set the tone for the movie perfectly. Another scene from GotG is the dance off at the end. Such a bizarre, surreal moment in a comic book movie. Brilliant.

I really loved the final scene in Gone Girl
    with Nick cornered into spending the rest of his life with that psycho, locking himself in the spare room. Chilling.

Inbetweeners 2 may be a shadow of the show but I was in stitches at the slide scene - poop jokes are the best :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Bacchus wrote: »
    Inbetweeners 2 may be a shadow of the show but I was in stitches at the slide scene - poop jokes are the best :p

haha oh yeah!! The slide scene & when Will starts singing around the camp fire. Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ktulu123 wrote: »
    22 JumpStreet : When Jenko
    finds out that Schmidt has been riding the captains daughter
    . Fecking hilarious!

Absolutely love this scene. Channing Tatum's timing is perfect!!!

Have to agree with GotG
    prison break as well
    as well

Captain America; The Winter Soldier I loved
    the scene in the lift

The Lego Movie
    SPACESHIP!!!!!

Pride when Bill Nighy and Imelda Staunton making sandwiches

These are the ones that stand out in my memory. I really haven't seen enough this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

In addition to some of those already mentioned,

Calvary: The scene where, he's talking to the little girl

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: The car chase

22 Jump Street: The scene where they're getting reassigned to Jump Street as well as the end credits if that counts, which it probably doesn't.

Nightcrawler:
    The scene where he moves the bodies at the crash and the one where he enters the house

The Lego Movie: Batman in the board room

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Goodbye to Language - when you think you've seen everything cinema has to offer, a veteran director in his 80s comes along and breaks the rules once again. The two scenes in Goodbye to Language where Godard 'separates' the two cameras used to create the 3D effect are the kind of moments one watches cinema for - something new, startling, innovative, insightful and exciting.

The 'husk' scene in Under the Skin, which is startling in a very different way. One of the most imaginative and haunting uses of SFX I've ever seen, used to create a deeply disturbing but also strangely beautiful image that stuck with me for days afterwards, even during the 10-day cinema gauntlet that is JDIFF. The beach scene is also a strong candidate here.

Why Don't You Play in Hell?'s extended ending is an anarchic, tonally disorientating assault on the senses. Half ecstatic and half melancholic, the final action scene (and its epilogue) are incredible spectacles to behold, the characters - and Sion Sono himself - achieving a bizarre sort of transcendence in the midst of total madness and fountains of spewing blood. It's like nothing else, and I just sat there in a state of giddy, exhausted 'WTF?' as the credits rolled.

One always has the impression Lars von Trier is playing a big joke on the audience the entire time, but in Nymphomaniac Volume One's Mrs. S scene he embraces pure black comedy with delightful effect. Easily the best 'episode' in a mostly interesting but wildly uneven film, Uma Thurman delights as a jilted wife who opts for a very unique sort of revenge against her husband. "Would it be all right if I showed the children the whoring bed?" is probably this year's weirdest but funniest line (tied with the otherwise thoroughly underwhelming What We Do in The Shadow's sandwich gag).

A Spell to Ward off the Darkness - that half-hour long final shot, a mesmerising and incredibly articulate documenting of a death metal concert, and the ultimate emergence of the themes and emotions that have been subtly explored throughout the film until that point.

Both the wickedly funny classroom scene (with a delightful appearance from Alison Pill) and the torchlit battle scene in Snowpiercer were among the most captivating of the year.

Girlhood did the impossible and made a Katy Perry song the soundtrack to the film's most poignant, affecting scene without making it seem cloying or manipulative. A beautiful and intimate moment, that is in no rush to cut away from a moment of genuine happiness.

In a film as sedately, meditatively paced as Manakamana, an unexpectedly hilarious scene of two women eating rapidly melting ice creams is both a surprise and an absolute treat.

The moment when Her fades to black mid-film, creating a moment that is definitely weird and slightly creepy but also heartbreaking and delicate. It's that strange conflict Jonze navigates expertly throughout the film, but its this scene where it's most vividly and beautifully realised. Above all, it's a superb example of cinematic restraint.

The Congress is a fascinating film that doesn't always pull of what its attempting to, but the moment when
    it transitions between animation and 'real-life' towards the end
    hits like a ****ing suckerpunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I know its been mentioned, but this...! :pac::pac::pac:

Also, a few from GOFTG, mainly the opening scene.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes..when Malcolm beholds the Apes home was cool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Interstellar: docking scene, 'the wave' scene and all the space shots in true 70mm IMAX, it's depressing thinking that I'll probably never get to experience a movie in that format for a long time if ever again. It's also depressing that Ireland has no true IMAX theatre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Interstellar: docking scene, 'the wave' scene and all the space shots in true 70mm IMAX, it's depressing thinking that I'll probably never get to experience a movie in that format for a long time if ever again. It's also depressing that Ireland has no true IMAX theatre.

If the BFI in London ever shows it again, I would probably make the trip again

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The last conversation between Tom Hardy and James Galdofini in The Drop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I only recently saw Guardians of The Galaxy, having been put off by The Avengers but
    Groot's sacrifice packed an emotional punch which was amazing considering it was all CGI

Actually, another great scene is when Channing Tatum meets Steve Carell for the first time in Foxcatcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Actually, another great scene is when Channing Tatum meets Steve Carell for the first time in Foxcatcher.

Only released here in 2015 though.

Off topic, my sister says it's amazing and it looks amazing but even watching the trailer gives me the heebie-jeebies.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Only released here in 2015 though.

Off topic, my sister says it's amazing and it looks amazing but even watching the trailer gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Fair enough, but I saw it in 2014. It is excellent. My advice, don't read anything about it or research the back story before you see it. I went into it blind and it made it an even better watch I'd imagine. It is quite slow at times, but if you appreciate great performances you'll have 3 to add to the list with this - Carell, Ruffalo and even Tatum are excellent in this.

Advertisement