Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best online flight tracker?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Want to buy one for my phone and just looking for advice on best one please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Personally I find FlightRadar24 the best. There's a few in-app purchases too that add to it like arrivals/departures boards and various aircraft models.

Planefinder is great too, but I do find myself using FR24 a lot more.

I use iOS, Android apps may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Brians Collection

Planefinder and FR24 although FR24 does have a couple of in app purchases.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 For Flight Radar24 as well. I have used a few.I'm on Android also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Always use FR24 and have recently signed up for the pro version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

FR24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

FR24

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Don't ignore Plane Plotter Mobile (PPm) for Android. The multilaterial functionality throws up a lot of interesting stuff that is either detail blocked or not even displayed on FR24 :cool:

FR24 are too rigid with their blocking and what they do not display - although I understand why. I also have PlaneFinder from the early days (and they say they are going MLAT soon).

So I use a combination of the FR24 and PPm.

If you are not interested in PPm, then the best buy is FR24 as they (IMHO) shows the most plots and appear to have the largest amount of SBS feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

pfurey101 wrote: »
    I also have PlaneFinder from the early days (and they say they are going MLAT soon).

That'll be fantastic! I may well ditch FR24 entirely at that point. I prefer the Planefinder UI, it just seems to make more sense than FR24.

Edit: plus PF isn't as aggressive in blocking policy as FR24. You can usually flick over to PF to identity bizjets and state aircraft.

My issue with PlanePlotter Mobile is that it requires dealing with the PlanePlotter support hierarchy - which is never a satisfying experience. I just run AndroidVNC on the phone to connect back to 'big' PlanePlotter at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Has anyone found the most recent version of FR24 on iPad a bit jerky when scrolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Great points arubex. There was an email about a month ago from Pinkfoot advising the MLAT upgrade. I can't remember if they gave a schedule.

PPm can be a bit daunting as is PP on the PC, but I've been a paid up PP-er for a long time so there's a bit of loyalty also :) But 'tis brilliant to see some of the most secretest MLAT plots being spot on - on the mobile! That's a great tip with AndroidVNC.

I also revert to PF to pick up those blocked (Non MLAT's) on FR24 and not plotting on PPm.

Another issue on FR24 is that all MLAT plots seem to be a 30-40 MILES delayed. So you need to be on yer toes at times :D

So where FR24 (IMHO) plots the most and is probably the best, a combination of all 3 may pick up 95% of what's up there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement