Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit failure fee

Options
  • 09-01-2015 2:43pm

I got a letter today from an account i have about a Direct debit failure. the Amount being debited was less then €10 so i received a letter indicating that i am being charged for €5 for this unauthorized Debit balance.

Then the company who were trying to take the payment also sent me a letter saying that i owe them €15 euro fees for the direct debit failure. I asked them what the fees are for and they told me that they are charges from their bank for this happening.

I called my bank to find out what the €5 fee was for and they said that the same bank charge them and they were passing the charges to me. They cant provide proof of this.

I admit that the fault was mine, i thought there was money in the account. As i mentioned it was for less then 10 euro. But is now costing me 20 +

I have heard of DD failure fee's but being hit twice for it, Is this normal ?

Comments

Beano wrote: »
    well the bank will definitely charge you a fee. you dont mention which bank it is but BOI charge 12.70 for returned direct debits. whether the company can also charge you is down to the agreement you have in place with them. if it says in the agreement that they can charge you for direct debits returned then they can. you need to check your agreement with them.

I know my agreement with them, and it does mention that there is a fee. i am not querying that. ITs more the fact i am getting fee's from both side. Both sides say its coming from the companies bank. Both sides cant provide me with backup that they are being charged.

(His post disappeared ??)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your bank is charging you, they're not passing on charges from anywhere else. If they're saying they are its a customer service training issue basically.

The company who had a bounce were charged by their bank and are passing that on to you, likely with an admin fee slapped on too.

Happens all the time, in every country so its not a "Rip Off Ireland" issue. I'm actually amazed any bank is charging as little as a fiver.

L1011 wrote: »
    Your bank is charging you, they're not passing on charges from anywhere else. If they're saying they are its a customer service training issue basically.

My bank actually said. My manager told me to tell you that it is another bank charging you. I asked for documentation to back that up and was told to look at the T/C's. Again i am aware of the T/C's but neither party can seem to backup were the charges are coming from.

Advertisement