Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shop local....

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I bought a whirlpool hob just before Christmas and went to a local shop (expert electrical which is nationwide) rather than one of the bigger name retailers thinking I was a great lad shopping local, whilst still knowing that I would be paying a little extra it could hardly be that much. The one I ended up buying was marked at €330 and he offered it at €300. seen it a couple of days later for €230 in Harvey norman (and I wouldn't consider them cheap). wouldn't mind if it was €20 or €30 dearer but I think €70 is taking the p**s.

and now I see it on the expert website for €249.99............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

prices change especially if newer models are coming out. That's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Beano wrote: »
    why did you not check the price in other shops BEFORE purchasing? a bit late now to be complaining.

thank you for that wonderful insight. I will remember to do this in the future....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Always shop around, especially for big money items.

I price check everything I buy. It really does pay to do it in the long run, even if it only saves you a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

viztopia wrote: »
    thank you for that wonderful insight. I will remember to do this in the future....

What they said stands IMO, if you didnt shop around then theres shag all point complaining after!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think there's a point being made that there's little satisfaction in shopping local if you're going to be paying an excessive amount for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its not all about the price sometimes. How far away is Harvey Normans ? will they deliver ? will they install it, will they come down on a thurs night after work to fix a small problem with it ?

If there is a problem will you have to drive 50km round trip to HN (as in my case) and then enter a red tape nightmare as they send go through their system or will they give you a spare while its being sorted ?

All of these things add up if they are all the same well then you go with the cheapest, but a lot of the time the local shop will give a better service if needed, that will more than save you in the long run.

Advertisement